News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are properly restored gauges ok?

Started by 69chargerboy, February 19, 2008, 06:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerboy

I just had my dash bezels and gauges restored at Performance Car Graphics (which they did an incredible job). Would it be safe to say having those restored gauges would be sufficient of having a accurate reading (ex: fuel, volts, amps) ? I have noticed a lot of restored MoPars I've seen at shows have newer type gauges underneath the dash as well as the restored originals. Any one has any experience with this question? Thanks. :2thumbs:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

Nacho-RT74

they are pretty easy to calibrate. On back of gauges you will see access holes at a side of rivets. Throught the holes will see some teeth. Those are linked to needle system links and are used to adjust the needle placement at determinated voltage. Just need the right vaules to feed gauges and calibrate.

Values have been posted in the past around... never saved by myself  :brickwall:

if they were restored and all teh word meaning they shoudl it be accurate enough, but you can allways recheck
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chatt69chgr

You might want to buy the new instrument voltage limiter (regulator) that has been advertised in all the mopar mags lately.  If you unit fails to ground, it takes all the instruments with it.  The new one prevents that failure according to their advertisements.  It also has several advantages over the three terminal solid state voltage regulator that used to be the best way to upgrade this piece.  They charge $50 for it but it looks like it's worth it to me.  Sorry I don't have a link to it right now.

69chargerboy

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 20, 2008, 12:55:36 PM
You might want to buy the new instrument voltage limiter (regulator) that has been advertised in all the mopar mags lately.  If you unit fails to ground, it takes all the instruments with it.  The new one prevents that failure according to their advertisements.  It also has several advantages over the three terminal solid state voltage regulator that used to be the best way to upgrade this piece.  They charge $50 for it but it looks like it's worth it to me.  Sorry I don't have a link to it right now.

Chatt69chgr,  if you could,  when you have time post the link the the regulator. Thanks.
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

RAC95054

Quote from: 69chargerboy on February 20, 2008, 03:41:42 PM

Chatt69chgr,  if you could,  when you have time post the link the the regulator. Thanks.

It's here:

http://www.rt-eng.com

It's money well spent to prevent the gauges from getting fried.  As for calibration, the fuel gauge is really the only one that could be off because the sending unit isn't right.  As I've found, the non-Mopar units seem to be off by as much as 3/8 of a tank!

-Russ
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar