News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

More Ethanol in Gas?

Started by tricky lugnuts, October 13, 2010, 10:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJMG

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 15, 2010, 07:38:03 PM

It amounts to just watering down the gas.  Less oil consumed, less power produced, less MPG produced.  No different than just reducing the displacement of everyone's engine by that percentage. 

Exactly, Except that logic would imply that if you are consuming MORE fuel per mile then you are driving a vehicle with a LARGER engine and the operational cost increases.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mike DC

QuoteExactly, Except that logic would imply that if you are consuming MORE fuel per mile then you are driving a vehicle with a LARGER engine and the operational cost increases.

Yeah, I just mean aside from the mechanical effects on the motor.  The effect on fuel consumption to performance ratio is like shrinking the motors a bit. 

HPP

Yes, but it also provides a means to keep taxes from fuel revenue up since the ever increasing CAFE regulations are going to seriously impact how much tax each state gets gets to keep from fuel sales.

However, I think it is much simpler than all that. One arm of the Fed and a sizeable amount of the population wants renewable fuel. The other side wants increased mileage out of new vehicles. They arent talking to each other and don't realize their goals are at odds.

FJMG

Quote from: HPP on October 17, 2010, 11:23:27 AM
One arm of the Fed and a sizeable amount of the population wants renewable fuel. The other side wants increased mileage out of new vehicles. They arent talking to each other and don't realize their goals are at odds.

I couldn't have said it better, thank you. I will only add that not only are they at odds but are in completely opposite directions.

nh_mopar_fan

If you think E15 is going to cause you some headaches, just wait until you see what the new B2 heat oil blend is going to do for you.

The heating industry have been watching and dealing with the ill-effects of the "Biofuel" for some time now. The EPA has now mandated all fuels will be the new "B2" blend as of June 2010. B2 is 20% ethanol and unless your system is designed to run on it you're in for a real headache this winter.

I love that article in my news yesterday, "What's in store for home fuel cost this winter? Prices expected to rise ~ but not by much". What they didn't say is you just got a major decrease in its caloric valve. The BTU content of #2 heating oil is 138K and the new B2 blend is reduced to 125K, so that's less BTU per gallon and it costs more too.

And you're thinking that not so bad, I can live with that... it will help the environment... But wait, it get even better; in 2013 they're moving you up to B3, which is 30% ethanol and that degrade the caloric value by another 10K.

If you love what ethanol has done for your gas engines, you're really going love what it will do for your heating system.

chargerman67

67 Dodge Charger 440
87 Toyota Supra 2.5L twin turbo (JDM)
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

bull

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on October 18, 2010, 09:46:16 PM
Approved. Can't be bothered to wait for the FDA.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-Said-to-Allow-Rise-in-bloomberg-701169662.html?x=0

Yup, that's how the US government rolls. Just plow ahead, regardless of whether or not you're on the right road, and call it progress.

If this debacle has a name it should be Cash For Clunkers 2. We didn't comply the first time around so now the government is going to junk our cars whether we like it or not. Is this country still a representative democracy? Because it seems like the people in charge of the US government these days just do whatever they want regardless of how it affects the people they allegedly represent.

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: bull on October 20, 2010, 11:34:31 PM
Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on October 18, 2010, 09:46:16 PM
Approved. Can't be bothered to wait for the FDA.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-Said-to-Allow-Rise-in-bloomberg-701169662.html?x=0

Yup, that's how the US government rolls. Just plow ahead, regardless of whether or not you're on the right road, and call it progress.

If this debacle has a name it should be Cash For Clunkers 2. We didn't comply the first time around so now the government is going to junk our cars whether we like it or not. Is this country still a representative democracy? Because it seems like the people in charge of the US government these days just do whatever they want regardless of how it affects the people they allegedly represent.

These days? That's been going on for over 200 years now.

BBD

PocketThunder

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on October 20, 2010, 08:41:31 PM
If you think E15 is going to cause you some headaches, just wait until you see what the new B2 heat oil blend is going to do for you.

The heating industry have been watching and dealing with the ill-effects of the "Biofuel" for some time now. The EPA has now mandated all fuels will be the new "B2" blend as of June 2010. B2 is 20% ethanol and unless your system is designed to run on it you're in for a real headache this winter.

I love that article in my news yesterday, "What's in store for home fuel cost this winter? Prices expected to rise ~ but not by much". What they didn't say is you just got a major decrease in its caloric valve. The BTU content of #2 heating oil is 138K and the new B2 blend is reduced to 125K, so that's less BTU per gallon and it costs more too.

And you're thinking that not so bad, I can live with that... it will help the environment... But wait, it get even better; in 2013 they're moving you up to B3, which is 30% ethanol and that degrade the caloric value by another 10K.

If you love what ethanol has done for your gas engines, you're really going love what it will do for your heating system.

Time to spend some money on geothermal heat system and get away from fuel oil altogether.  The savings in fuel oil cost will offset the geothermal system in 10-15 years.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

71ChallengeHer

There is some blue stuff the parts store has to counteract the effects of Ethanol. It's suppose to cost 87 cents a tank. I'm gonna buy some next time I'm there. I'll let you guys know the name of it and if it works.

NGC414

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on October 20, 2010, 08:41:31 PM

I just wanted to clearify, they cannot blend Diesel, heating oils or any fuel oils with Ethanol. This would cause an
explosion in use. Heating oils and fuel oils need to have a flash point over 130 degrees to be deemed safe. It is imperative that no gasoline or ethanol ever gets into a fuel oil batch. I think the blend you are talking about is the new bio-deisel blend wich will be made from oil seed crops such as canola, or from waste oil and grease.

NGC414

I worked for a large oil company for about 10 years before starting my own business. They started the E85 blends just before I left the company. Untill that point we only had a few blend codes with 10% ethanol. Most guys would avoid going to the stations that sold 10% blends.
We were allowed plus or minus once percent of error on the 10% blend. If an off spec batch got out I have had to pump off trucks, call to have stations shut down until they could correct the batch in the middle of the night. Its strange to me that now these high blends of ethanol are ok.
If you ever drive by a petroleum terminal and look at the large storage tanks, look for a tank that has a black stained ring around the top. It almost looks like smoke or carbon stains. Thats the ethanol tank. For some reason a fungus grows on the tank and its impossible to keep off.