News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can this headlight door be adjusted?

Started by Tilar, October 13, 2010, 03:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

This is the grill I put on the 73. One closes all the way when I shut the headlights off, The other as you can see stays open just a bit. Is there a correct way to adjust these?

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

NHCharger

On the inside of the headlight doors on the side facing the center of the car there is an adjustable stop. Check to see if that one needs to be backed off a bit.

If that doesn't work the only other thing I can think of is that the headlight assembly wasn't lined up correctly when assembled. The torsion rod for the headlight doors is one piece that goes through the headlight motor. On the drivers side of the motor you can see the nylon bushing that the torsion rod goes through. This nylon bushing rotates with the torsion rod.  On that nylon bushing is a raised notch. That notch has to line up with the raised notch on the motor housing when the headlight assembly is put together. If it wasn't it's possible that the motor can't turn the torsion rod far enough to get both sides all the way down assuming the torsion rod might have a slight twist in it.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Tilar

I got to looking at this today and found that the motor is missing one bolt, but I'm not even sure that it has all the right hardware. Seems like it has a lot of play in it.

Dave  

CDN72SE

Hey Tilar, here is a shot of mine with the original hardware. No washers on mine. That may very well be the answer to your problem with the mis-alignment -- the missing bolt.

1972 Charger SE

Tilar

I bet that is the problem. The pic of mine made me think there should be something between the motor and the frame where it bolts up, but apparently not. That gives me something to check out... Thanks for that pic.
Dave  

CDN72SE

You're welcome, I also remember back in the day when I was actually driving my car sometimes I would just turn the wheel on the motor to fully close the door and that seemed to do the trick.
1972 Charger SE

Tilar

Ok, Here is where I'm lost at... Are the pegs on the motor supposed to go through the holes in the mount? The pic of yours doesn't show they do, but it looks like something is missing on mine. The guy that put this together had two bolts holding this together, with a washer on both sides of the framework so the motor would not go through the holes in the frame.

Dave  

1969chargerrtse

Can't help you out but that is on beautiful car in your avatar.  :icon_smile_tongue:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Tilar

Thanks!  :icon_smile_big:  I still have a long way to go with it but it's a nice driver. There is some rust in the rear quarters that you can't see in that pic, but it turns heads and I get lots of thumbs up with it.  :coolgleamA:
Dave  

CDN72SE

No the pegs do not go through the holes on the plate, here's a pic from the FSM and a closer picture of mine.

1972 Charger SE

Tilar

Ahh, So the holes in my plate must be wore through, or someone drilled them.  :brickwall:  Ok, At least now I know what I need to do to fix it. I did open the motor and the gear is fine, but it looks like it needs some grease or something in there.   Thanks.
Dave  

CDN72SE

Guess that's the reason for the washers. Good luck with it. Alan.
1972 Charger SE