News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door Panel Installation

Started by 70charger2006, October 03, 2010, 12:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charger2006

Quick question here. I am about to install my new door panels on my 70 Charger. I was wondering if it is necessary to reapply the adhesive that helps secure the panels to the door? If so, what would be a good adhesive to put on it? Something perhaps at the local parts store?

Thanks for the help.

Greg
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

richRTSE

I don't think they used adhesive for the door panels, just those small metal clips. The arm rests also help hold them on. If there is some adhesive on the door frame, its probably from the plastic water barrier that the factory installed. :Twocents:

Troy

Quote from: richRTSE on October 04, 2010, 07:41:11 PM
I don't think they used adhesive for the door panels, just those small metal clips. The arm rests also help hold them on. If there is some adhesive on the door frame, its probably from the plastic water barrier that the factory installed. :Twocents:

:iagree: The only adhesive is for the vapor barrier. As far as I know, all the panels and trim on the door or held with clips and screws.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

twodko

Double ditto. Re-attach the vapor barriers as they were too. You can pick up some of that grey "rope" putty at most RV supply stores. Take a piece and roll it to roughly the same size as whats already on the door. Work the top, each side then the bottom scraping off the old stuff and apply the new in its place. Smooth the vapour barrier over the fresh putty and you're back to the OEM look! Cheers.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

70charger2006

Ok. so the vapor barrier is in. Thanks guys for the enlightenment. I am trying to figure out something on the install of the actual panels. Fronts are good to go and seem self explanatory. As far as the rear go. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Panels slip under the upper chrome trim piece and clip to the body on the front of the panel. My question here is how does the inside metal cover that runs along the bottom "rocker" area that encloses the rear wire harness line up with the rear door panel? Does it fold down and press the panel to the body? Should it not even touch the panel? Hmmmm, is mine just bent and tweeked way to hell and need to be manipulated?

Also was wondering if it would be safe to say that I could install my rear panels prior to insalling the carpet?

Thanks for all the help.
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

twodko

Morning Greg,

I'm going to make the assumption that 69's & 70's are the same or close to it. I just finished re-installing my 69's interior and here is what I found. The rear panels do indeed slip under the chrome trim piece. If I understand you correctly and without a pix, the bendable sheetmetal "flap?" that covers the wiring harness does only that. It has no relation to how the door panel sits or is attached. My panels just slipped under the trim piece and the retainers popped into thier respective holes. The panels will sit just above your carpeting.
So, the sheetmetal covering the wiring is layed flat the entire lenght from the kick panels to and beyond the rear wheelwells, do install your carpeting first then you panels. With all of this done the rear seat back will still be a bit difficult to re-install because you have to sorta bend it a little to get it in. This assumes you have not installed the armrests/window handles.......put those back on after your seat is in. Hope this helps.........yeah, I know I'm long winded! Cheers
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

70charger2006

Quote from: twodko on October 26, 2010, 12:38:29 PM
Morning Greg,

I'm going to make the assumption that 69's & 70's are the same or close to it. I just finished re-installing my 69's interior and here is what I found. The rear panels do indeed slip under the chrome trim piece. If I understand you correctly and without a pix, the bendable sheetmetal "flap?" that covers the wiring harness does only that. It has no relation to how the door panel sits or is attached. My panels just slipped under the trim piece and the retainers popped into thier respective holes. The panels will sit just above your carpeting.
So, the sheetmetal covering the wiring is layed flat the entire lenght from the kick panels to and beyond the rear wheelwells, do install your carpeting first then you panels. With all of this done the rear seat back will still be a bit difficult to re-install because you have to sorta bend it a little to get it in. This assumes you have not installed the armrests/window handles.......put those back on after your seat is in. Hope this helps.........yeah, I know I'm long winded! Cheers

Thanks Tom. That is kinda what I thought, but just wanted to make sure. I think my sheetmetal cover is just bent so it actually touches the door panel area. Looks like I will be needing to do a little bending to make sure everything fits right.
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2007 Dodge Ram 1500