News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No 'D' with floor shifter???

Started by baullz, September 28, 2010, 03:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baullz

Alright I finally am getting my '69 back together and when I try to put the car in 'D' (floor shift, 727, ) it just stays in neutral.  I know that Drive and neutral share the same detent but where ever I have the shifter lever in that detent it just stays in neutral. 

Park, Reverse, 2 and 1 positions work fine is something just not adjusted properly or is something else out of whack??

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

John_Kunkel

If the car will move forward from a standstill in 1 but not in D the sprag has failed.

What does the car do if you place the shifter in 2 and try to accelerate from a standstill?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

baullz

Well I think I found the problem after closer inspection it just seems that the linkage is not adjusted properly because each gear is pushed back one spot as in I am in reverse when Im in the neutral/drive detent.

So is that simply a linkage adjustment or is it something else??

RD

linkage adjustment OR wrong lever.  what type of lever do you have on your transmission?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

baullz

I cant really get under there to see it to easily with the exhaust and no way to lift it up but I think you might be right on the wrong level.  It feels like its pretty straight and by looking at the service manual it should have when with a bend in it almost like an 'L' shape bracket so that is more then likely my problem.