News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much power left on table flat tappet hyd vs solid roller cam on p. gas 446!

Started by 1Bad70Charger, September 27, 2010, 09:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

OK, I have decided to build a pump gas 10:8 to 11:1 446 engine with out of the box Eddy 84 cc Performer Heads and have decided I will be using an Engle Cam.  If i were to run a solid cam have no problem running a Victor or Mopar M1 manifold intake to maximize my effort, but want to keep using my 750 Proform carb that flows 830 cfm, and will continue running my Holley Street Dominator if I run an Engle hyd flat tappet cam on  my car which will see 99% of its life on the street.  On this engine how much hp am I leaving on the table with the following scenerios and keep in mind I prefer to shift at 6500 max on a stock 440 block (and 7000 rpm max under rare situations):

1. Out of the box Eddy 84 cc Heads with properly selected K series Engle hyd. flat tappet cam (probably K58/60) vs. properly selected Engle solid roller lifter cam.

2.  Professionally cnc'd  Eddy 84 cc Heads with properly selected K series Engle hyd. flat tappet cam vs. properly selected Engle solid roller lifter cam  (with same Cnc'd Eddy heads).

After alot of research I think for a street driven car not driven competitively, that its just not worth the extra money for the cam and necessary valvetrain upgrades (I can use oem stock rockers on Engle hyd. K58/K69 camsahft) for maybe an extra 25 to 30 HP by running a solid roller camshaft on a pump gas 440, when also figuring in  the extra abuse on the valvetrain by spinning the motor higher to make HP, checking valve lash once or twice a year, especially when these modern cam grinds like the K series Engle Hyd. flat tappet cams perform so well. Do you agree/disagree, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance and yes, with all the questions I have asked in the last several days, I just about have made up mind which way I am going to go with my new engine to be built this winter and you guys are big help with your feedback and patience which I appreciate!  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

charger_fan_4ever

Nothing wrong with flat tappet cams for street motors. Just make sure you run a good quality zinc additive.
FWIW I had a aluminum headed 351W with a single plane and a 750 pro form carb, longtubes ect and a hydraulic flat tappet cam with roller rockers. At 3200lbs race weight it ran 11.80 @ 118mph shifting at 6500 with a so so 60 ft.

All out race motor tight lash solid roller would be the way to go IMO.

Dyno sheets are for putting in the window of a car at a show for bragging rights. Some many factors in dyno figures. The track does not lie.

I'd personally hook up with Buddy Rawls he is a custom cam grinder and knows his mopar. A custom speced cam will have the right valve timming events and will outperform any off the shelf cam. If you need vacuum for brakes he can make you a cam that will do all you want plus have vacuum, the idle quality you want ect.

Pirice is maybe $50 more than a comp cam. Best $50 you could spend.