News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hughes Camshafts and Roller Arms for 440 engine?

Started by 1Bad70Charger, September 28, 2010, 06:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

Good, Bad, what's the reputation of Hughes Camshafts (both hyd. flat tapped and solid roller) and the 1.6 Rocker Arms they offer for 440 engines?

Thanks.  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

elacruze

I just set up my Hughes 1.6 rocker arms today. The quality is marvelous, and the geometry is outstanding on my Edelbrock heads. They are a nice plug fit on the rocker shafts-no detectable clearance but absolutely frictionless, either rotating or sliding. The roller contacts the valve about 1/3 from center at seat, then sweeps across and back to valve center at .600" lift when the spring pressure is highest. I'm very pleased so far, but I haven't run them yet.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

maxwellwedge

I am running a similar Hughes set-up and all is good. But, if you are using stock valve covers they will hit the inside of the baffle and sound like the engine is blowing up! I was told by Hughes they would fit under stock covers with no problems.......wrong!

I had to remove the covers and relieve the baffles for clearance...all good now.

Roger 68 charger

I plan to pick up a set of rockers from Hughes---From what I have been reading they seem like good rockers---what I like about Hughs is that they have been around for a long time and all they deal in is Mopar.Its not like Im getting my cam and rockers from a chey guy...Just my  :Twocents:
68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

BBKNARF

I'm using Hughes 1.5 roller rockers for the past 4 years love them  :2thumbs:
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Ghoste

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: maxwellwedge on September 28, 2010, 07:03:28 PM
I am running a similar Hughes set-up and all is good. But, if you are using stock valve covers they will hit the inside of the baffle and sound like the engine is blowing up! I was told by Hughes they would fit under stock covers with no problems.......wrong!

I had to remove the covers and relieve the baffles for clearance...all good now.

When I had my Gold Charger , I removed those baffles for clearance. It had a Hughes crate engine in it. I was very impressed by Hughes. Zero complants.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

maxwellwedge

When I had the engine on the dyno I had big, aftermarket valve covers on. After I got it home I put the original covers on and painted the motor. No big deal - I have used their stuff in 4-5 different engines with great performance results.