News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

balancer seal removal

Started by chargd72, September 23, 2010, 10:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

Sorry for posting so many questions this week.  But how the hell do you get this front main balancer seal (first pic) off of the timing cover?  I have a new one to replace it but that mother is on there.  Also, this piece came with my gasket set (pic 2).  What is it and what does it do?

Thanks.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

FLG

I used a hammer and a cheap flat head screwdriver and knocked it out as you would a wheel bearing seal.

Got no idea what that other piece is, never seen it.

chargd72

Quote from: FLG on September 23, 2010, 11:01:12 AM
I used a hammer and a cheap flat head screwdriver and knocked it out as you would a wheel bearing seal.

I almost tried the same thing last night.  Had the hammer in hand but couldn't bring my self to do it.  Scared of gouging the timing cover and leaving a spot for a leak.  But if it worked for you, I'll give it a shot.  Thanks.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

RD

those wool type pieces are found on small blocks, not big blocks.  do you need it?  no, not really, but I always put back in place whatever came OE if it doesnt really make a difference.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

chargd72

Quote from: RD on September 23, 2010, 11:25:08 AM
those wool type pieces are found on small blocks, not big blocks.  do you need it?  no, not really, but I always put back in place whatever came OE if it doesnt really make a difference.

If it belongs there, I'll put it in.  But there was nothing like that in there.  How is it supposed to be placed?

elacruze

If you want to be kind to the pieces, find a length of exhaust pipe or PVC pipe that fits in the back of the seal, put a cap on it and use a hard rubber or deadblow hammer to knock it out. Support the front of the cover with a 2x4 with a hole in it big enough to get the seal through.

I've taking them out while on the motor with a screw and slide hammer without hurting anything, too-I'm just more comfortable doing it on the bench.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

John_Kunkel

If you're trying to remove the seal with the timing cover installed forget it. The seal is removed/installed from the inside, the cover has to come off.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

elacruze

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 23, 2010, 03:36:46 PM

If you're trying to remove the seal with the timing cover installed forget it. The seal is removed/installed from the inside, the cover has to come off.

LOL Mr. Chevrolet over here... :eek2:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

chargd72

I have the cover off cause I'm switching out the cam. So I just tried knocking it out with a flat head and a hammer but the seal hole is larger than the timing cover hole, so there's nothing for the flat head to grab on to knock it thru, make sense? any other options?

FLG

Flip it over and knock it sideways so it bends and proceed to continue with removal.

chargd72

I'll give that a shot. Just been trying not to gouge the cover too much. I've been tearing the seal metal by pulling it with pliers.  :brickwall:

chargd72

So I went into the garage last night and beat the hell out of it (that's what she said).  After a lot of abuse, it finally popped off and the timing cover looks undamaged.

Thanks for all the responses.