News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

mechanical or vac secondaries ??

Started by Rolling_Thunder, August 31, 2010, 12:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

Alright carb gurus...      I know HOW these both work -  but I'm not exactly sure why one is better than the other for specific applications...     explain this to me....        I am planning the build for a nice 440 for my road runner...     need some advice on a carb -  on a pretty tight budget at the moment...      Build is pretty basic...    iron heads, .030, hydraulic cam, duel plane intake, and some hooker headers I have kicking around....     

I was thinking just a 750 or 800cfm Edelbrock...     I know a lot of guys swear by holleys but i have never had a problem with the edelbrock carbs I have used....      point me in the right direction.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on August 31, 2010, 12:41:39 PM
Alright carb gurus...      I know HOW these both work -  but I'm not exactly sure why one is better than the other for specific applications...     explain this to me....        I am planning the build for a nice 440 for my road runner...     need some advice on a carb -  on a pretty tight budget at the moment...      Build is pretty basic...    iron heads, .030, hydraulic cam, duel plane intake, and some hooker headers I have kicking around....     

I was thinking just a 750 or 800cfm Edelbrock...     I know a lot of guys swear by holleys but i have never had a problem with the edelbrock carbs I have used....      point me in the right direction.

If your looking for performance go with a holley style mechanical 4150 carb. IMO edelbrock carbs are for trucks or a show car. Nothing special about them they are pretty much a factory replacement. A good mix of performance,mileage,driveability on a heavier auto big block car car is a holley street avenger 770.

71bee

I restore/rebuild Carters & Holley's all the time. the Holley 4160's (vacuum secondaries) have always been problematic for me. personally, I prefer the older Carter AFB/AVS for street use & a good ol' modified Thermo-quad for racing.   

terrible one

From the Holley website:

For street cars the vacuum secondary carburetor works best on midweight or heavyweight cars with an automatic transmission. They are more forgiving than a Double Pumper is because they work by sensing engine load. The mechanical secondary carburetor is best on a lighter car with radical camshaft and a lower gear and manual transmission or on a car that is going to be used for racing purposes. :shruggy:

firefighter3931

Double pumper is alli willever use.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 31, 2010, 08:52:45 PM

Ron

God has spoken...      carry on all...            Looks like I'll go with a holley style carb with mechanical secondaries...     

TUFCAT

I agree that Ron is a performance God and I rarely waiver on his recomendations......but Holley's don't look correct on some Mopar applications.

When I say this of course, I know (based on memory) a good number of Mopars were equipped with Holley 4bbls from the factory  - such as some 1968 440's, and nearly all 1970-1971 383's, and 1972 440 Magnums.

71bee

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 01, 2010, 05:08:31 PM
I agree that Ron is a performance God and I rarely waiver on his recomendations......but Holley's don't look correct on some Mopar applications.

When I say this of course, I know (based on memory) a good number of Mopars were equipped with Holley 4bbls from the factory  - such as some 1968 440's, and nearly all 1970-1971 383's, and 1972 440 Magnums.

And the only 4 barrel Holley offered for MoPar engines was the 4160 (vacuum secondaries). the 4150's (double pumpers) were placed on GM & Ford applications. I will agree that the 4150 is the best Holley 4 barrel ever made, but the good ol' Carter AVS carburetors that were used on most HP MoPar engines back in the day are easier to tune & modify, plus they will hold up much better on the street.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on September 01, 2010, 02:19:25 PM

Ron

God has spoken...      carry on all...            Looks like I'll go with a holley style carb with mechanical secondaries...     

Lol ! No God here....just a Hot Rodder who's made many mistakes and learned from them !   :brickwall: :lol:

Quote from: 71bee on September 01, 2010, 10:28:22 PM
Quote from: TUFCAT on September 01, 2010, 05:08:31 PM

When I say this of course, I know (based on memory) a good number of Mopars were equipped with Holley 4bbls from the factory  - such as some 1968 440's, and nearly all 1970-1971 383's, and 1972 440 Magnums.

And the only 4 barrel Holley offered for MoPar engines was the 4160 (vacuum secondaries). the 4150's (double pumpers) were placed on GM & Ford applications. I will agree that the 4150 is the best Holley 4 barrel ever made, but the good ol' Carter AVS carburetors that were used on most HP MoPar engines back in the day are easier to tune & modify, plus they will hold up much better on the street.

Just because it came stock on a factory engine doesn't mean it's the best option    ;)

Nothing compares to a properly tuned double pumper, period !  :2thumbs:

Just ask Brian

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35989.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Cooter

Ron

Why post the question to all here, if you coulda simply PM'd "The God"??
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

71bee

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 03, 2010, 02:46:36 AM

Just because it came stock on a factory engine doesn't mean it's the best option    ;)

Nothing compares to a properly tuned double pumper, period !  :2thumbs:

Just ask Brian

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35989.0.html

I agree with your take on a stock carb not being the best option. that was my point. the only 4 barrel Holleys offered on MoPars were the 4160 -not the better choice by most. I'll still stick with a good ol' Carter or Edelbrock AVS. but as they say, to each his own.  ;)

Ron
[/quote]

mikesbbody

"Just because it came stock on a factory engine doesn't mean it's the best option"
Thanks for bringing that up Ron So True IMO this one is kinda hard for me because 2 Guy's I really respect (Ron and E- Booger) both have different opinions when it comes to Carb choice.
Ron say's all he will ever use is a D.P  E.B tends to think a D.P is not necessary on a street car.
I want a crisp Throttle response so which should I go for? I have a 750 V.S Holley on a Single plane
Weiand Manifold on a warmed over 440 is it true D.Per's are better suited for single Plane Manifolds?
I recall reading that somewhere is that true?  :shruggy:   

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Cooter on September 03, 2010, 06:55:49 AM

Ron

Why post the question to all here, if you coulda simply PM'd "The God"??

I guess it was a poor attempt at humor...     If i ask something publicly - generally I want more than one opinion.    :2thumbs:      Just seems like Ron is always around when we all need something answered

71ChallengeHer

I changed this year from a Edelbrock with vacuum secondaries. I switched to a Holley dump pumper with mechaniclal secondaries. My Chally is way more responsive now. I very happy with the change. I wish I would have done it sooner.

mikesbbody

Thanks Jackie  :cheers: the way I see it is I have nothing to lose by trying a D.P the better response you get from your D.P is just what I'm looking for  :cheers:

RECHRGD

I have a "heavy car with an automatic".  I changed from a Holley 750 vacume secondary to a D.P. years ago and never looked back.  It was a night and day difference.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

TUFCAT

hmmmmm...now I'm starting to realize why Ron likes them, and why he recommends one for my build. :scratchchin:

mikesbbody

Quote from: RECHRGD on September 04, 2010, 08:21:04 AM
I have a "heavy car with an automatic".  I changed from a Holley 750 vacume secondary to a D.P. years ago and never looked back.  It was a night and day difference.  Bob

Another success story great to hear that Bob  :cheers: I too have a "Heavy car with an automatic" warmed over 440 Ron, if you read this do you think a 780 D.P would be too big? dont mind changing
Jet sizes etc.

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: mikesbbody on September 04, 2010, 12:50:50 AM
Thanks Jackie  :cheers: the way I see it is I have nothing to lose by trying a D.P the better response you get from your D.P is just what I'm looking for  :cheers:
Anytime, Mike.  :cheers:  I have my D.P. sitting on a dual plane. Works great. But I have a small block  :shruggy:

mikesbbody

Thanks again Jackie  :cheers: I dont think the small block thing would change anything in fact, I often hear of S.Blks running them (only not as big as the Carbs on B.Blks) mine will be going on a Dual plane
The single plane will come off so it will be a carb and manifold change (possibly a gear change too)

71bee

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on September 03, 2010, 10:05:29 PM
I changed this year from a Edelbrock with vacuum secondaries. I switched to a Holley dump pumper with mechaniclal secondaries. My Chally is way more responsive now. I very happy with the change. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Not tryin' to stir the pot guys, but neither Carter nor Edelbrock ever made a carb with vacuum operated secondaries. they did, & still do make the AVS (Thunder Series) which has a vacuum operated secondary "air valve," just like the ol' Thermo-quads & Rottenchester quadraflushers. their designed to eliminate "bog" @ WIT. it's a fully adjustable air regulator that allows little to massive amounts of vaccum being pulled thru the intake, thus mixing with the fuel. it's not designed like Holleys 4160, which requires a good amount of vacuum to open up your secondary butterflies, thus drawing in your complete fuel/air flow.

Said it before, I'll say it again: the Holley 4150 D.P. is a good racing carb, but prepare to tinker with it at random for street use.

mikesbbody

No Pot stiring at all  71Bee  :cheers: I am happy and interested to hear both sides  :2thumbs: