News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318...Timing retards when revving?

Started by elacruze, August 27, 2010, 01:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elacruze

Here's a good one. I haven't done anything but cuss and wash my hands...

'68 pickup with 318LA. Stock, points ignition. Runs great except that distributor is worn out. Mechanical advance is wonky and vacuum advance is non-existent.

I figure, heck why not upgrade to electronic? I buy an electronic distributor on ebay for a core, NAPA gets me a rebuilt electronic distributor. I get a couple orange control boxes on ebay. I install an electronic voltage regulator, ignition box, distributor...it acts a little silly at first, then a snatch the base timing to about 15* and it settles to a nice smooth idle. Great. I throttle up a little to watch the ignition timing, and IT GOES BACKWARDS! I mean with the vacuum disconnected and 15* base timing, at about 1200rpm the thing goes back to 0* timing.

WTF?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

375instroke

You installed it backwards?  They make marine distributors for motors that turn the other way.  Small blocks turn clockwise, looking down at the top.  The rotor should be able to be turned clockwise, while holding the shaft from rotating, and the springs should return it.  If it's the other way, I think they messed up.

elacruze

Quote from: 375instroke on August 27, 2010, 11:01:05 PM
You installed it backwards?  They make marine distributors for motors that turn the other way.  Small blocks turn clockwise, looking down at the top.  The rotor should be able to be turned clockwise, while holding the shaft from rotating, and the springs should return it.  If it's the other way, I think they messed up.

Yah, looks that way. The vacuum pot is on the firewall side of the original, engine side of the replacement.

Worse too, the shaft is bent and the whole head wobbles in a circle while running.

What does it take to get a good part the first time anymore? Maybe I'll just buy a MP from Mancini and cash in this POS.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.