News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Weird holes in Firewall?

Started by bakerhillpins, July 31, 2010, 08:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Domino

Quote from: bakerhillpins on August 11, 2010, 08:06:49 AM
Back to my original question:

In these cold air induction systems wouldn't you loose a large percentage of your perceived gains due to turbulence losses as a result of the irregular shape of the cowl and firewall holes as well as through the use of accordion type duct work? It would seem to me that the most efficient version of these systems is this one that vented directly from the cowl grille into a large smooth duct over the carb?

A big part of the equation is incoming air density having more oxygen per cubic inch. Flow path may not be good enough to "ram air", but just breathing from a cool source would help, even at slow speeds when the ram is negligible. 

When you first start off a light, there's some serious hot air collected on the underside of the hood...
Hot air is like a big bag of chips, some settling may occur during shipment. ;)

Khyron

so wait... i asked this years ago, is this the actual reason those are there? why do some chargers have them and some do not? Mine has these holes, but they have plugs in them.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Khyron on August 11, 2010, 09:19:43 AM
so wait... i asked this years ago, is this the actual reason those are there? why do some chargers have them and some do not? Mine has these holes, but they have plugs in them.

I don't think that any Charger came with them, owners cut the holes in the firewall and added it as a performance upgrade. I don't recall seeing anything in the options lists I have looked through lately that suggested it was. But I am far from an expert on any of this. :yesnod: Also until this thread it was the only charger I had observed with them.

Looks like you are all set for your next upgrade! Ya just need to get your arse down to the Home Depot and grab some flexible dryer duct.  :D
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

TUFCAT

I think its a great idea for a custom car...maybe he was a NASCAR fan?

With my limited knowledge, every bit of "gulped air" should help with a high rise manifold, high compression, and high CFM carb.

Khyron

hmmm, im the 3rd owner of the car, and none of the owners said anything about them cutting it...

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

moparstuart

Quote from: Khyron on August 11, 2010, 12:04:00 PM
hmmm, im the 3rd owner of the car, and none of the owners said anything about them cutting it...
how about some pictures of your firewall   :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

mauve66

yeah, cause ain't no way the factory did that, it was done by an owner
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

TylerCharger69

I think it's a great idea as far as cool air induction is concerned.   The only drawback that I can see is  when you open your air vents to get fresh air inside....there may be excessive fuel vapors  at low speeds or at idle