News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question: 440 with Edelbrok 84cc heads Comp Hydralic cam & comp roller rockers.

Started by Nassau1969, August 09, 2010, 09:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nassau1969

OK this is what we have or I have, 440 block with no mill work with Edelbrock 84cc heads mild Comp Hydraulic cam a little over stock and comp roller rockers. What push rods ? I have comp cams push rods in there now that are 9.130 part #7262. I need the same Push rods with out the lube hole thru the rods, (mistake on my end). I called Edelbrock Tech line and they told me to go with 7.900 push rods is what it is called for (WRONG), they are way off. That is impossible to use those push rods over 1 inch shorter. I started out with 9.400 push rods (after using the checker push rod to see what I needed) and they were just a little to long, $125 out the window for a 1 minute engine run. If anyone has this combo or close to what I have let me know what your doing in that area. My engine runs very good sounds awesome when cruising around and having fun, but when you get on it hard after a good run the lifters tap because the oil going thru the push rods is draining the lifters dry, then they recover about 30 seconds later, need to change the push rods without the lube hole. I would like to thank the 440 Source for there time today narrowing it down to what we think it is, the Push rods with no lube hole is needed. They took the time more than 30 minutes of phone conversation to figure it out. No quick chat crap to blow me off, he went over it with me more than a few times and asked allot of questions.  I can tell he wanted to help and wanted to figure it out and was very helpful with no attitude. You give me an attitude I will spend $$ what ever it takes to go somewhere else to avoid you, and to what we think is the solution he came up with is correct one. Thanks very professional.

elacruze

None of this makes any sense.

The only way that your pushrods can bleed off oil is if the lifters have pushrod oiling holes, which they will not unless you or somebody set the valve train up specifically to use pushrod oiling. If you are using pushrod oiling *in addition to* the normal rocker shaft oiling, you may be losing pressure in the lifter galley and the lifters are pumping down. Certainly in this case you would be sending way too much oil upstairs.

If your lifters do not have holes in the pushrod pockets, then it does not matter whether your pushrods have holes or not.

Let's get some base info; Cam lift, valve spring pressure, lifter brand and style, rocker arm ratio.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

elacruze

Got it.

"The Comp cam is 462 intake 470 exhaust, comp hydraulic lifters, the rockers have the 1.5 curve I believe, and the lifters have the oiling hole in them. I was told to get the sold push rods with no holes in the shaft which I'm going to order in the next day or so. What do you think."

Let's be specific. Do you have lifters which have holes in the pushrod sockets, for oil, or have oil holes on the cam contact face for oiling the camshaft lobe? Or both?

Even if you have lifters and pushrods which can carry oil, if your rockers do not then the oil has no place to go and shouldn't make any difference.

What's your oil pressure at idle, 4000 rpm, and what brand/weight of oil do you have in it?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Nassau1969

Ok lifters do have the oil hole, scape the other crap i posted. Your right is doesn't matter on the hole in the push rods. It looks as if i have to much oil pressure draining the pan, its a stock pan. I added a extra quart as Comp cams said to do and check it out, I did a repeat of getting on it and all went well and it was fine, I been using Mobil one oil 15X50. I think I'm going to put a stock oil pump back in or go with a high pressure instead of high volume. I don't really like getting on the car I just had a total resto done and just did some minor engine mods when the car was being done so it would run better.

elacruze

Do you have a windage tray in the pan? Without it, returning oil gets caught in the crank vortex and can't get back to the pan. At some point, your pan runs empty...not good for bearings. Do you have an oil pressure gauge?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

firefighter3931

Hyd lifters do not have provisions for pushrod oiling.  ;) It sounds like you have an oil control problem....possibly issues with drainback.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs