News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original 1969 426 Hemi intake

Started by hemi68charger, February 07, 2014, 06:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang, Anyone have a picture of the top front section , casting numbers, of an original 1969 426 Hemi intake?

Thanks in advance...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

charge69

These are the only pics I can find right now of it. Pay no attention to the tags on the carbs or the throttle springs as they are both installed incorrectly back then.

If you can zoom in these pics, you can get a better view.

Hope this helps.

charge69

hemigeno

Gleaned from Moparts over the years...

1.  '66 - early '67

2.  late '67 - early '69 (not sure about the location of the "P" on this one - thought it was supposed to be over the pentastar)

3.  late '69 - '71 (this one has modifications to the carb venturi openings)  This is the one you'd want, Troy....

charge69

I am not positive which one of the three hemigeno posted is mine but I believe it to be the second one. I, honestly, do not remember the date stamped on my engine but the SPD of my Charger is 314 or March 14, 1969. The 3rd picture of the numbers on the intake (late '69 - '71) looks to have a raised pad on it and mine did not have this.

hemi68charger

Quote from: charge69 on February 07, 2014, 12:45:37 PM
... The 3rd picture of the numbers on the intake (late '69 - '71) looks to have a raised pad on it and mine did not have this.

I see that Carl. Geno, is that the difference between the 2nd and 3rd?, the rectangular raise pad under the 05 and to the left of the Pentastar? That is the only difference I see......

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemigeno

I am not sure the raised pad is "supposed" to be there - especially on '69 vintage intakes.  IIRC that photo was posted by Ryan B / Devil, from a '70.  

The middle photo is from Bob Horman / RAH, who has or had a '68 HemiCharger - so it was my assumption that the intake was his original... I'm open to correction on that one.  I think some '67 - early '69s are found to have the "P" above the pentastar, but I can't 100% confirm that.  This photo shows it to the left - where I know I've seen it on late '69+.  The big thing to key in on for the last "series" is a casting mold line visible along the edge of the #7 runner...  I don't think I have a photo from my former car, but remember seeing this detail on it's intake.  That unusual mold line should be found on '70-71 and on at least some late-built '69 model cars.

See the photos below of a late March-built '69 HemiCharger with the left-side "P" and I don't think I can make out the casting repair on #7.

hemi68charger

Here's what I have.........

There is a shallow "P" that the picture doesn't pick up......

Troy

hemigeno

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on February 07, 2014, 07:09:29 PM
What does the #7 runner look like?

Ah, that's what you were talking about earlier..... I'll have to take a close up tomorrow...................... Family movie night..........

Troy

hemi68charger

Here's that casting imperfaction Geno was talking about and it's on mine as well........ Man, all the little things we learn... #7 runner
Troy

boys3rt

Raised Pad Imperfection - I learned from my engine builder that this was a very common casting problem. He has seen a bunch of manifolds with this issue and mine was one as well. While the manifold was off we cleaned it up and you really can't tell there was a problem with it. He also told me that functionally there was no performance issue with it.