News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Fiberglass Front Fenders/Deck lids

Started by Als73charger, June 24, 2010, 10:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Als73charger

Ok, just wondering about who makes the best ones and are they similar to fiberglass mouldings that would be on say a Corvette? or are they flimsy and thin? Are they as ridgid as stock metal ones? I want to know if they are a good strong replacement for metal ones(which are impossible to get) :icon_smile_dissapprove:....Al

motorcitydak

Most people on here are going to say not to use fiberglass because it will not look as good as steel. That is true, some glass stuff can be not so great to look at if it is not prepared properly but a little work just like with steel parts can have them looking great and smooth. The weight savings is another huge plus. You can shed 100+ just from using fiberglass instead of steel. Of course you will have some fabrication to do if you use pin-on parts instead of bolt on's which weigh more. I love the idea of using glass parts because they are lighter, do not dent and are easily fixed. It depends on exactly what you want the car to do tho. If you want it to be a stripped down streetable race car, then glass is your friend. If you want the look, then maybe steel is the best way to go.

Anyways, to give you some guidance, check out VFN fiberglass, up22.com and WS racing fiberglass to name a few. Do a google search for charger fiberglass fenders or whatever you are looking for. There may be other companies out there with more to offer.
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Mike DC

The big issue is the fenders.  Glass hoods and bumpers and trunklids are easier to deal with and not prone to so many of the sagging problems, etc. 

The stock fenders on these cars are not just a "skin" panel but rather a small portion of the unibody.  Other heavy stuff gets mounted on them, etc.  IMHO fiberglass fenders would world a lot better if you retained the steel inner structure of the stock fenders and just used fiberglass for the outer skin.