News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dents

Started by FARMER, June 23, 2010, 05:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FARMER

Hello;

I am working on a 1969 Dodge Charger. Its coming along. There are 4 stainless like pieces that attaches, they attach to the top of the doors and the back rear side window. When windows are rolled down you can lay your arm on top of the pieces.

They have a few dents in them. Who do you recommend that could take the dents and scratches out
and make them look like new again? I am located in Ohio.

Thank You. :)

yeahitsgotahemi!

I'm assuming your talking about the exterior stainless trim pieces? If your talking about the thin interior stainless pieces that are on top of the upper door pads, those are window felts, and I would suggest replacing them rather than repair, as the felts usually need to be replaced anyways.

If we're talking about the exterior pieces, do a search on stainless trim repair. Here's a vid link,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f178txAEnek

My experience is that scratches in stainless are difficult and labor intensive to repair. I'd recommend doing your homework before putting a hammer, file or polisher to them.
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

Patronus

I found a guy on my local 'Craigslist', he's charging $8 Lf.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

stripedelete

Got a guy in Lorain.   

FARMER

Yes they are pieces that go outside. I watch ebay but they are really "used" with dents and
scratches. Thanks to everyone who had replied. Your help is much needed.
A mopar fan. :)

twodko

FARMER,

The trim is called belt trim. Watch the mentioned vid and if you want to take on restoring your own trim, buy a full buffing kit from Eastwood. You'll probably need a couple extra buffs too. I refinished all my trim and it is time consuming and you will get discouraged but stay with it. If you don't have a buffing motor buy the 6" unit from Harbor Freight - $40. Aluminum is easy to work than SS just take your time!!!! Make several hardwood dollys to help you reshape the metal. The vid should touch on this but the net has many sites dealing with restoring SS/alum trim. After a couple really nasty events while working my stuff I found that applying a couple layers of blue painters tape to the motor shaft and the outside nut/washer EVERY TIME you change wheels will save your ass. While working my trim a couple pieces got away from me and briefly hit the shaft or nut leaving a new dent and/or scratch in the peice. If this happens you will reach new heights of pissedoffness! Check some web sites out on refinishing trim, it takes some time but many of us have done it and so can you! Good luck

Tom

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Sublime/Sixpack

Just a couple days ago I repaired the exact pieces you're talking about Farmer. Once removed I tapped out the dents, then worked the top side with a small bastard file until it was smooth, then wet sanded with 220 grit wet/dry paper on a small sanding block until the file marks were gone, then wet sanded with 600 grit, then with 1500 grit, then 2000 grit, then buffed with a small buffing wheel in a hand held drill with White Diamond compound, then polished lightly by hand with Semi-chrome Polish. It's tedious work but when you're finished and the piece looks brand new it's quite satisfying.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak