News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help to all you professional painter and restoration experts!

Started by 71 RT, December 12, 2005, 10:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 RT

I am in the process of repainting my dash for my 71 Charger R/T.  The instrument cluster is out, I have prepared the dash, but can not get the right color black each time I paint it.  My problem is the "Flat BlacK" appears to be too flat, and the Semi-Gloss appears to be too glossy.  Here is the big question, is there anyone who knows the correct black to paint the dash/glove box cover/ashtray cover to appear factory correct?  I am assuming the someone has the correct paint mixing codes, or someone sells it already mixed, maybe even in a spray paint can. 
Any help is much appreciated!

Doc74

Can't help you there since everyone has a different opinion so get a hold of a good part for reference, use the flat black and gently polish it till it's to your likings.
An intermediate polish, no wax, will do fine, not too coarse, not too fine.
Polish by hand, circular motions and criss cross, cover it all.One buff will give it a more satin look right away.
To be safe, spray 3 good coats and let it dry at least a day at room temp if it's from a spraycan.
Test on something else to see what your limits are, honestly you can have the job done in ten minutes.
You could continue looking for whatever's correct, I won't be bothered, my way's quicker  :icon_smile_big:

Drop Top

My books don't show the code number for the correct color black. Remember the color that was on the dash had probably faded over the years. I have used GM engine compartment black made by PRO. Then tested it to the back side of the dash where it is most likely not faded. It was very close if not right on. The same paint from Eastwoods is not the same color its a bit more glossy.

73rallye440magnum

69 Hemi MIGHT know but I'm not positive. I haven't heard from him in a coons age either.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

beenaround

my 71 sm shows it as a low gloss finish,chrysler code ab61dx9,for black.ditzler code dia 9388.used on instrutment panel,glove box door,among other places.just give these codes to a body supply shop and they should be able to mix it for you.i remeber when i did my 70's dash the paint seemed to spray a little "dry".may have been just me tho.

71 RT