News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

aluminum flywheels

Started by sittinonready43, May 18, 2010, 04:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sittinonready43

need some advise can a aluminum flywheels be used on a street car  thank you

oldschool

1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

elacruze

I've had a Hays aluminum flywheel in mine since 1984 or so. Still there, still great. Probably has only 2500 miles or so, though.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

charger2fast4u

what's the advantages and disadvantages of using a aluminum flywheel verses a steel one on the street? i know the aluminum one is less weight on the crank so it should rev faster but what else is better about them?

Ghoste

They accelerate faster.  There is a point of diminishing returns with that however as the engine also likes some inertia to maintain rpm between shifts.  It's kind of a balancing act.

sittinonready43

elacruze

The thing you'll notice most often, is that it takes a *lot* more training of your clutch leg to drive it smoothly. For my touring build, I went right back to the big iron flywheel. Aluminum wheels also are more susceptible to heat warping, so try not to get caught in rush hour stop-n-go traffic.

Sure does add pep, though.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

NMike

the lighter the flywheel, the higher the rpm needs to be for a smooth shift. you'll find smooth driving/low RPM shifting not so easy

Wicked72

You will just have to get used to shifting. its definitely something to get used to but it wont take long and the engine will act like a new beast! :2thumbs:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected