News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Temp range?

Started by jeffrey5811, May 27, 2010, 06:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffrey5811

So I finally got my 68 Charger / 383 4bbl.  Everything is going great for the 42 year old car and me.  My engine temp is running from about 179 degrees - 200 degrees on hot days.  Is this a normal operating range for the Charger?  225 is my top end temp that I won't run the car after that.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

ChgrSteve67

Nothing wrong with that.

Mine runs from 175-185 and up to 210 under load going up hill, 190-200 with the AC running.

212 is boiling for water at sea level. With antifrees and the water presure will go higher without boiling.

225 is a good number to not to want to go above, I start sweating at 240.

The important thing is knowing what is normal so you know you have a problem when you see a abnormal reading.

jeffrey5811

ChargerSteve, Thanks, that makes total sense.  I just have to get familiar with the car. 

69charger2002

it all depends what thermostat is in the car as to what the normal range is. it sounds like you have a 180 degree but either way 200 is not a temp to be worried about. like chgrsteve said anything over 210 or so is a problem.
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/