News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

udpate: found 2863223 direct drive fans for our aeros, more so for Superbirds

Started by hemi68charger, June 29, 2010, 06:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Have a friend with a Daytona and he's wishing to get the direct drive like the Superbirds to help his cooling. He has a fan with part number 2863224, does that equate to the Superbird direct drive (or a OEM Mopar direct drive fan used with a 26 radiator)? Does anyone have close up pictures of the proper fan? I have the direct drive fan in my Daytona, but to be honest, not sure if it's the "correct" one or not. It has been changed out many moons ago for obvious reasons...... Never really looked at it persay...

Thanks..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Hemi_tyme

Troy here's some pictures of the 2863223 fan from my Superbird.

hemi68charger

Perfecto !!!!   Much thanks... Heck, I think that is what is in my Daytona and the trunk of my C500..   :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hotrod98

What's the difference between the 223 fan and the 224 fan? The white book shows 223 to be a hi capacity fan available on a/c cars from 68-71, BC&E.
I'm guessing that the 223 fan has more pitch. I think the one on my bird is a 224.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hemi68charger

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 29, 2010, 10:42:18 AM
What's the difference between the 223 fan and the 224 fan? The white book shows 223 to be a hi capacity fan available on a/c cars from 68-71, BC&E.
I'm guessing that the 223 fan has more pitch. I think the one on my bird is a 224.

:shruggy:  :think: :scope:   Good question................
Troy

talkiemopar

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 29, 2010, 10:47:36 AM
Quote from: hotrod98 on June 29, 2010, 10:42:18 AM

:shruggy:  :think: :scope:   Good question................

The 2863223 fan is a breed of it's own. If you look closely at the picture you will notice that the blades are sandwiched between 2 stamped metal pates instead of a single plates like the 224. Which will adds extra weight to fan. So it had to be balanced (the rivet looking things on the blade are the balancing weighs) If your bird or Daytona is running hot in stop and go traffic then check your fan..........I drive my Birds around in 90 deg temp all the time and never had one get over 190
Hope this helps
Ken
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/hemityme/coolingfan002.jpg

70Sbird

Just another opinion here, I don't know if you are going for OEM correct but I have the 7 blade MP Viscous fan package on mine and I'n very happy with it!
Probably won't score any originality points, but it sure works

Scott Faulkner

Arnie Cunningham

Greetings All,

Just wondering if anyone knows the rhyme or reason for cars getting a direct drive vs a fluid drive fan system.  I have looked up the info in the Service Manual - seems to be an automatic vs manual transmission related issue.  And yet, I have seen build sheets and actual examples of cars being either way.  Is this one of those - "it was intended to be this way", but, ended up being - "just use whatever we have on hand" situations when the cars were assembled?  Kind of like the heat riser systems showing up sometimes on six pack cars?

I think I am running a 2863 216 fan now with a new aftermarket fluid drive and it seems to work well.  The replacement radiator core is a newer high density one however.

Thanks,
Brennan
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on July 03, 2010, 04:18:25 PM
Greetings All,

Just wondering if anyone knows the rhyme or reason for cars getting a direct drive vs a fluid drive fan system.  I have looked up the info in the Service Manual - seems to be an automatic vs manual transmission related issue.  And yet, I have seen build sheets and actual examples of cars being either way.  Is this one of those - "it was intended to be this way", but, ended up being - "just use whatever we have on hand" situations when the cars were assembled?  Kind of like the heat riser systems showing up sometimes on six pack cars?

I think I am running a 2863 216 fan now with a new aftermarket fluid drive and it seems to work well.  The replacement radiator core is a newer high density one however.

Thanks,
Brennan

I don't know the "exact" reason, but it appears it was a traffic driving condition situation. All the Daytonas got the fluid-drive fan (215 I believe with clutch). Apparently there were abundant warranty complaints or just engineering discoveries/observations. But, Mopar engineers learned that the Superbird was going to need something different, hence the direct-drive fan.

Troy

pettybird

didn't someone dig this up recently?  440 4 bbl/auto cars got the solid fan as a running change in late october/early november?

it seemed to point to everything else getting the viscous package. 

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 03, 2010, 06:42:04 PM
Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on July 03, 2010, 04:18:25 PM
Greetings All,

Thanks,
Brennan

I don't know the "exact" reason, but it appears it was a traffic driving condition situation. All the Daytonas got the fluid-drive fan (215 I believe with clutch). Apparently there were abundant warranty complaints or just engineering discoveries/observations. But, Mopar engineers learned that the Superbird was going to need something different, hence the direct-drive fan.

Daytona Auto's got the 216 with the 070 clutch - 4-speeds (not sure about all of them) got the 215 and the 070.

The "earlier" 440 (U and V code) Birds all got the 070 clutch and 216 fan and then switched to the other fan and solid spacer (1.06" #1851959) as a running change sometime in early November. There must have been a dealer notice as well - I have seen a few Birds coded for the 216/070 that had the solid fans.

hotrod98

I've been looking for a 223 fan for my bird without much luck. Anyone have an extra?
We drove the bird to a cruise-in Thursday night and it was over 95. Made it there and back with no overheating or vapor locking, but I would feel better if I had the 223 fan instead of the 224.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hemi68charger

Hey Ken..
Finally found a 2863223 fan.. Looks like the edges may be bent up, something I could straighten out.. But before I do that, wanna make sure what is correct.. Looks like the edges are straight until I get to the ends.. You can see from my pictures the irregularities I'm talking about..
Troy

maxwellwedge

AB - Looks like someone was trying to chop down a Tree with that one... ;D