News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got my cluster done finally- pics

Started by redfourjohnd, February 07, 2010, 11:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redfourjohnd

Hi everyone,

I finally got it done. Driver quality, Performance Car Graphics decals, duplicolor chrome paint top border. The raised letters, the switch surrounds and the gauge rings were all done with silver sharpie. Only the very tops of the gauge rings were done and it made it way easier. Looks nice too. Tach is from Charger Specialties.

First car: 1969 Charger R/T 440 4 barrel 3.91 rear- sold it like a dummy.

Current Mopars:

1968 Charger Slant Six A833 OD
1976 Ramcharger 400 4WD
1962 Valiant 170 2 door post
1962 Valiant 225 Signet
1962 Valiant 225 Signet junker car-but it has a brand new rebuilt 225 in it :-))
1962 Lancer parts car

b5blue

Dans 68

Very nice, John. Now, does it all work?   :rofl:

I can only hope mine looks as good!   :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

TexasStroker

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Silver R/T

Looking nice. Do all gauges work now. Maybe I can outsource mine to yourself? lol
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChgrSteve67

HITMAN 149

68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Captain D

If I may ask...how much for this driver quality restoration? Thanks!

redfourjohnd

Thanks guys!

Yeah Dan everything works. Bad part is the gas tank sender is dead, and the water temp senders are all over the map in terms of resistance. I finally found one that gives me a reading that's only 10 degrees low. Still looking for a better one. The one I bought at NAPA was DOA. Bummer.

Cap, it was pretty cheap.

Two cans of $5 paint
One can of Easy-off to strip the paint and chrome,$5
About $5 worth of hardware for replacing the rivets in the gauges and the dimmer wheel. Also misc missing screws.
2 pack of silver Sharpies about $5
Radio shack parts to build a solid state voltage limiter $10

The gauge decal set was about $30-35 with shipping, I also had the odometer wheel done, another $30 I think.

That's $95-100 approximately. I think I got everything. I added the tach in place of the clock, which was about $230 with the harness. Clock repair kits are available, I don't know what they cost. I like the tach better.

Also, I bead blasted my gauge faces at work. I imagine the easy-off would have worked to remove the paint from those too.

I replaced the bulbs too, another $25-30. That's kind of a maintenance cost though. Use the 1895s instead of the 57s, they are 2000 hour life bulbs rather than 500 hours. Use 2825s instead of 158s on the circuit board bulbs. They are brighter and longer life.

Superman symbol courtesy of ebay, 10 bucks! I actually bought a bunch of different ones, not sure which I'll mount permanently yet. I do have the original bullseye medallion too.

Lastly, all my gauges worked so no cost there. Take that Dan! ;)

John D

Current Mopars:

1976 Ramcharger 400 4WD
1962 Valiant 225 Signet
1962 Valiant 225 Signet junker car-but it has a brand new rebuilt 225 in it :-))
1962 Lancer parts car

Dans 68

Quote from: redfourjohnd on February 16, 2010, 02:14:38 PM
Thanks guys!

Yeah Dan everything works....Lastly, all my gauges worked so no cost there. Take that Dan! ;)

John D

O.K., I took it.  :icon_smile_wink:  Seriously, very nice outcome for few bucks. I think I mentioned that I'm having the small gauges repaired (a Jackson note per gauge) and I do have the quartz clock kit and Tach kit from RTE (previously owner of the '68 bought them but they were never installed) while I bought their solid state limiter. The original clock works (sticks a little) and the original tach does move (reads very low, though). I'll get those tic toc tach kits installed before I get my small gauges back next week. MATS is coming up quickly.  :yesnod:  I guess I'll get those silver sharpies for a few touch ups.  ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

sixpack_sid

The gauge decal set was about $30-35 with shipping, I also had the odometer wheel done, another $30 I think.

Looks Great! Can I ask you where you got the guage decal set? I'm about to start on mine and wondered where I can get the decals if mine don't clean up well.
Thanks,
Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

moodgie68

Hi! What method did you find easiest to paint the teeny tiny white letters and  dimmer arrow? I've tried several different things, including an artist's brush, and a white paint marker. However, I find the paint runs between the "legs" and "arms" of the letters. Luckily, it's easy enough to repaint the faceplate black again and start over, as I've done several times now. Any input would be great! thanks!

Dans 68

Quote from: sixpack_sid on March 03, 2010, 07:52:29 PM

Looks Great! Can I ask you where you got the guage decal set? I'm about to start on mine and wondered where I can get the decals if mine don't clean up well.
Thanks,
Sid

http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Dash_Stuff/Gauge_Faces/68-70_B-body_Clock-Tach.htm

Dan

sixpack_sid

I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

ktneifert09

I used a silver sharpie from a craft store and it worked perfectly.  I'll have to post some pix - just finished mine...and it even works!
Plans are useless; planning is indispensible.
Especially with an old car!

200MPH

Charger

troy.70R/T

Nice Job I even like the way the tach looks without the clock. :2thumbs:

redfourjohnd

The silver sharpie is easiest on the lettering, surprisingly. Doing the larger areas and getting it to look even is a little tougher. Buy a two pack of pens and alternate between them, as you may need to let one sit open a while to dry out a little. I just did the tops of the rings around the gauges, and not the whole area that was chromed originally.

That being said, I had no luck with any kind of paint sticks. They were all too thin and would run into the letters. The silver letters aren't original looking, but they look bice enough and will be easy to touch up if they wear. They give the contrast that the letters need.

Thanks for the compliments guys,

John D

Current Mopars:

1976 Ramcharger 400 4WD
1962 Valiant 225 Signet
1962 Lancer parts car

b5blue

How well did the "Chrome Spray paint" work and how/where did you use it?  :scratchchin:

fireguyfire

Any chance you could give a brief run down on the process? I'm about to get started on my cluster. Sounds like you stripped everything back to bare platic and started over? What type and gloss of paint did you use to paint the main body of the cluster?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

1969chargerrtse

You did a great job. :2thumbs: Outside of the 69 dash, the 68 is the best looking.  :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Silver R/T

I'm following in your footsteps...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.