News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MSD Ignition on 318

Started by Dodge69_440, September 01, 2005, 03:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge69_440

I have a 69 318 that is mildly modified with a four barrel and headers/exhaust.  I decided not to switch out the gears because gas prices keep going up  :flame:.  I am now looking into a new ignition system.  I was thinking maybe a MSD billet distrubitor along with a 6A control box and coil.  Is it worth the money and how hard is it to install?  How much more power/mpg might I get? thanks for any help.

cudaken

I love my MSD with a stock Distributor (point type) and factory electronic Distributor.

But MPG and Power depend's on how bad or good your stock system is. Big advantage to electronic is they don't have the ware factor. When points are fresh and sat right there is no real gain over a  electronic
distributor. What is great, points ware and that changes the gap. So as you drive the gap get off more and more then you lose MPG and HP as was well.

As far as MSD it self, where it help's big time is at Higher RPM's and Compression. Also if you are using some oil as well. Will fire a drity plug pretty good.

If your Dist is high mileage (after 50,000 miles point contact area ware) you will have a steady dwell.

I would guess around 10 to 15 HP if old system is well used. If all the stock stuff is fresh around 5 to 6 HP. Not a shit load, but is more power.

On MPG around 1-3 MPG onces again depending on the state of what you have is doing.

I insatlled a way old MSD 5 with the stock Dist in my 69 Charger and picked up 2 MPG with no other changes.

Used MSD 6 and stock electronic Dist and picked up 1 MPG but had vale guides issue and plugs lasted 15,000 miles in stead of 2,000 miles.

Not that bad to install either. In fact eayer than the MP  electronic set up and did not have to change the voltage reg either.

It will not replaces a gear change, but later as you bulid to higher HP you will be glad you have it. Or should I say if you replaces it later you will say "I wished I did that sooner". Will never know what you are missing if you do not have it.

New Engine in the Charger is a blowen 440, old MSD is in there as well a long with a under the dash timing control as well.

Cuda Ken

I am back

Dodge69_440

Thanks a bunch for the info man.  Now I will seriously start looking into a new ignition system.  Sounds like I will need it down the line anyways.

Runner

if your stock ignition is in good shape, you wont gain ANYTHING except mabe a little idle quality.   i went from a mopar chrome box and a mopar distributor to a billet distributor and a hi dollar box.  i didnt gain anything ,  nothing , squat.  not any mph in the quarterm mile and no et gain. but i do have a rev limiter that i was needing.    if you are looing for performance spend your money some were else.    most people that report performance gains either had a bad ignition system to start with or, they didnt test it at the track and are just using there butt meter.  the butt meter lies alot of the time when large sums of money is spent.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Runner on September 01, 2005, 08:15:41 PM
if your stock ignition is in good shape, you wont gain ANYTHING except mabe a little idle quality.     i went from a mopar chrome box and a mopar distributor to a billet distributor and a hi dollar box.   i didnt gain anything ,   nothing , squat.   not any mph in the quarterm mile and no et gain. but i do have a rev limiter that i was needing.      if you are looing for performance spend your money some were else.      most people that report performance gains either had a bad ignition system to start with or, they didnt test it at the track and are just using there butt meter.   the butt meter lies alot of the time when large sums of money is spent.

I agree , if the existing system is in good shape & tuned You will gain Zero for the $$ spent  I have a MSD 6 for $50 + shipping  I will send it  to you , I will never use it
use a high out put coil , it will help fire the plugs , all the MSD box is a trigger to fire the coil