News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Overheat at Idle

Started by W4ATL, March 24, 2010, 05:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W4ATL

Took the '68 Charger out today and it started to overheat pretty bad in traffic. Pulled over for 30 minutes to let it cool and for traffic to die down. Got back out on the road and as long as I'm moving the temperature stays around 190-200.

When I got back to the house I put a piece of paper in front of the A/C condenser to check air flow and it won't keep the paper up. When I spin the fan with the engine off but hot it rotates pretty easy. I would think it would be a little tougher to turn.  Is a new clutch for the fan in order?

I never have been a big fan of these clutch fans.

flyinlow

Assumming the radiator fins are clear ,I would say its time for a new clutch. The silicone oil can leak out of them over time. Look for oil around the temp spring or seal.

A good thermostatic clutch fan with a good radiator and shroud should keep things cool.

W4ATL

I replaced the clutch with one from Advance Auto and there is a big difference. Air is now pulling through the radiator and has no problem keeping a piece of paper against the condenser. Seems to keep the temperature right at 180 when idling in the driveway.

This new clutch is pretty tough to turn, even cold. You can turn it, but it won't spin. The old clutch would spin a couple revolutions while hot.

flyinlow

66hemi

for what it is worth. my 69 used to overheat and now I can't keep it warm enough. I replaced the radiator and shroud. I also put in the flowkooler (by brassworks) water pump and a high flow thermostat. My fan is fixed and not a clutch fan.
66 hemi Charger 4 spd
69 Charger R/T 4 spd. TP

W4ATL

Update on the cooling issue. The fan clutch I got from Advance caused the fan to get too close to the radiator and it hit causing a leak. So...out comes the fan and radiator. But when I loosened the transmission cooling lines the tubing bent so I had to order another tubing.

Some research on this site revealed the correct fan clutch to use for my '68 Charger with the 440 and A/C.  It is a NAPA part number 261306. Use this one instead of the one a parts store wants to sell you.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,58712.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13711.0.html

I just got everything put back together and checked for leaks. Haven't done a test drive yet. I have a lot more space between the fan and radiator now.