News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Centerforce, Hays, or Mcleod clutch

Started by sparkybr74mr, March 22, 2010, 04:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkybr74mr

I am looking for some input in which clutch kit I should go with, I have narrowed it  down to these 3. First off I have a 70 charger 440 pretty much stock with some headers planned in the future and 850 carb. I have found a Mcleod superpro part # 75208, a Hays Street/strip part # 85-311, or a Centerforce II set up. All for about the same price range. I drive the car very often and want a good kit. Any input is much appreciated.

maxwellwedge

I am going with Mcleod on everything from now on - They have been around a long time and I am hearing good things about them.

oldschool

mcleod is all i run.they handle high horsepower and last. :yesnod:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

jaak

Had a centerforce in my charger that broke. Have no idea how old it was though.

Jason

sparkybr74mr

The Mcleod set up is listed for a 383. My transmission is not the original and is 1x23x11 set up. Is the mcleod set up strong enough for the 440 as well?

c00nhunterjoe

i have a centerforce dual friction and i can easily slip it on radials with speed shifts. it is brand new, just had the break in miles completed properly and by the time i got the mileage required on it for break in to find out it slips under full load i was out of the warennty...........

moparmoynihan

There are 2 size flywheels, an 11inch and a 10.95 inch.  I run a SFI approved 10.95 flywheel in my Charger, and have a Ram clutch in it. I beat the hell out of that thing. It always held up. Sideways everywhere! The McCleod is an awesome clutch, but expensive. My buddy has one in his Road Runner, but burned it up due to running the first gen. Keisler hydrolic set up. Before he installed that, it was in the car for years. And they were very hard years  ;D It all depends on how big your wallet is. Some clutches you have to remove the overcenter spring under the dash, located on top of your clutch pedal. Make sure you read the instructions in the box.  :Twocents:  Johnny
b7 1969 Charger 4 speed 440 4:10

bull

I know it's not one of your choices but my trans. shop owner/friend recommended Luk, so I'm giving it a shot.

suntech

my vote goes to mcleod. heard many good things, and i will have the dual disc myself. Even a competitor sent me that direction when i talked to them!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

ITSA426

I had a Hays behind the 383 and it worked well, no complaints.  I have a centerforce behind the hemi and it does the job well.  I put a McLeod in the 440 and it works well, so when I upgraded some things in the 383 car I went with a McLeod 10.95 clutch so I can throw an 18 spline disc in it and upgrade to an 18 spline transmission, possibly for a Passon overdrive transmission. 

My brother just threw a McLeod clutch unit on his 383 car and had some interference when the pressure plate would strike the bell housing.  That turned out to be an issue because he used a cast crank motor and the flywheel is about a quarter inch thicker.  He just filed off a little from the boss near the starter nose and now it works great. 

I think whatever fits into the car's allowance will be OK.

Chryco Psycho

I use Only McLeod , look into the Borg & Beck long style , it has lighter pedal pressure & great holding power , McLeod is the only company offering this style unit for the Mopars
Luk is just a stock replacemant diaphragm & I am not a fan of diaphragm clutches

Troy

I have a McLeod (Borg and Beck style) for the 18 spline and a Centerforce for the 23 spline (neither installed yet). The Centerforce will require the removal of the overcenter spring so don't forget to do it. I got a good deal or I'd have McLeod in both.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dstryr

6 years and 7000-8000 very hard miles on my McLeod and it was still good for lots more.  Had an issue(my fault) with the disc sticking to the face of the flywheel after I power washed the underside of the engine and trans.   Peeling the disc off the flywheel ruined the disc.  NOT a McLeod quality issue at all.  If it ain't broke, don't mess with it...so I'll stick with McLeod. :2thumbs:

BTW, they have a forum so if you pick out your parts and want them to validate your choices or recommend a better part for the application they will do that for you.
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.