News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stroker kit question for those experienced with more than one brand

Started by Ghoste, February 27, 2010, 02:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

For those of you who have ACTUALLY gained experience with more than one brand of the many stroker, can you offer much in the way of pros and cons between them?  I know we have a lot of firsthand experience onhere from people who have built one stroker or maybe even a couple but from the same kit company.  Ther is also a lot of hearsay evidence from any number of sources but what about some real world advice from some of you that have built more than one version of kit?

Challenger340

Yeah, I can help you out, what is it you wish to know ?
Parts or Stroker Combinations ?

I've used everything from Callies, Bryant, Crower, Manley, SCAT, BME right on through to Eagle, CAT, and 440source stuff ?

You get what you pay for, generally, in both Metalurgy & Quality of Machining "out of the Box".

IMO
No, the offshore stuff is NOT as good, or as well Machined, as the North American Stuff.
that said,
The Chinese stuff is plenty "good enough" for most applications, as long as you check it thoroughly ?

The Builder/Machinist has to check EVERYTHING anyways, Chinese or otherwise no doubt about that, but usually you KNOW you are gonna have a GREAT DAY, when you uncrate a Callies Crank, Manley Rods, and a JE Piston Set.
The stuff is ALWAYS Straight & Round, and DEAD NUTS good craftmanship.

Typically, and again, IMO,
The Chinese stuff shows far more Variances in the Crank Grind, and "how straight" the Rods & Journals etc., actually are.
I do far more Re-Machining on the offshore stuff, because I Dyno EVERYTHING I do, and I have to STAND BEHIND THEM !
Especially if we're Building/Machining a 900 hp Engine and gonna thrash it to 7,000 rpm ?

Not that it matters for 90% of stuff, it's the Old saying, "Shit will Run", and for lotsa Guys IT DOES !

I guess it's just that people have their own "tolerances" they prefer to work with ?

This one is Offshore 440source stuff. We had to re-machine, but it works fine.
These are just Ported "sr" Heads, not good for an Engine this Big, but you get the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzWhkC4dAI0
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

So you would be more of an advocate to providing a machinist with parts acquired separately than the one stop shopping of a kit?

Challenger340

No, not necessarily.
I just prefer "Kits", from places that typically use North American stuff.
You get a "Kit" from Ray(Barton), Typically you get a Callies Crank, Manley Rods, and Wiseco or Diamond Pistons.( All N/A)
You get a Kit from 440source, Typically will you get an Offshore Crank, Offshore Rods, and "whoever's" Pistons.

"Kits" from anywhere, are still the BEST way to purchase IMO, because they usually offer better pricing, and the "details" have already been accounted for in the parts selection.
By details,
I'm referring to more to Stroker stuff, where things like Journal Size AND Widths, Piston Comp. Distance, Rod length, Pin Diameter, etc., etc., has already been figured out.

I've seen plenty of Guys show up at the door, with a bunch of parts they bought "Individually" from various Manu's, only to find out later when I tell them they messed up and bought stuff that don't "fit" together !
Waste of my Time, AND theirs !
Thats why I tend to stay "hourly" on Customer supplied Parts ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of perspective I was looking for.