News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

disk brake master cylinder

Started by flyinlow, March 29, 2010, 08:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I installed rear disk brakes on my 73. The kit uses 11 inch vented rotors and Cadillac single piston rear calipers. Used the stock master cylinder and remover the perportioning /metering valve. The brakes stop well, but the petal is lower than it was with the rear drums. Do four wheel disk require a different master cylinder?

Have bled repeatedly , even tilted the rear calipers to make sure there was no air trapped as we bled them.

John_Kunkel

The larger pistons in the rear calipers will require more fluid volume so you'll need a MC with a larger diameter.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

flyinlow

The car has the 4 bolt 1.032 inch mastercylinder.  I have seen 1.25 inch late model aluminum and plastic ones ,but they are 2 hole mastercylinders.

Mefirst

Changing out the MC to a larger displacement one may give you a really rock hard pedal.. There is a "band aid" you could try before changing out the MC, try mounting a Residual Pressure valve on the rear brake line..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-260-1874/

Also try different Proportioning valve settings...

/Tom