News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger Grille Crack

Started by FARMER, February 20, 2010, 03:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FARMER

Hi: On a 1969 Dodge Charger passenger side grille bucket I have about an 1-1/2" crack in the upper
left corner. What do you recommend to fix "glue" smooth it over, paint, stop anymore cracking,
make it so it can not be seen. Can I repair or do I have too send it to someone professional.
Thank you for any suggestions.

mikepmcs

to stop the crack you need to stop drill it at the end towards the front. take a small drill bit just a little bit bigger than the crack and drill a tiny hole right at the end of the crack.  That should keep it from going rogue for now until you can fix it.  Even if you were going to fix it right now you need to stop drill it anyway.

You can fix it yourself.  I'll let the serious pros tell you the combination and what to use.  What I would do might not be what others would. For instance...I would stop drill the crack, then hog it out in the middle creating a "v" groove in the crack. Then, if I were getting serious I would use LORD Fuser plastic repair on the back side and some kick butt fiberglass on the front.  Sand it down to shape, top it with a skim coat of finish putty, sand it again, prime it and paint it.  

You can do it!  Got a dremel set by any chance. Be careful with bigger body tools they can get crazy and the next thing is you got a new hairdo because the grinder got away from you.

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

TylerCharger69

lol...mike....that's how we keep cymbals from cracking further on drum kits....drill a hole at the end of them....it'll buy time and get you through a few more shows before dripping hundreds on that new one....lol......Ace

FARMER

Thanks so much for your help. Will do. Ite would be nice if someone would recreate
a new grille.

Patronus

most of those cracks correspond from webbing on the back side. epoxy the back side corners, fill the crack... be one with the crack, love the crack
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Silver R/T

Here's some pics of my grille. They all have those stress cracks in corners.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Drilled hole at the end of crack. Beveled crack with dremel. Put glue on the back side of crack. Filled front side with polyester glazing putty 2k and sanded it smooth. Primer filler, sand that smooth and it's ready for paint.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

more pics

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

stripedelete

Quote from: Silver R/T on February 21, 2010, 12:09:05 PM
Put glue on the back side of crack. Filled front side with polyester glazing putty 2k and sanded it smooth. Primer filler, sand that smooth and it's ready for paint.

What kind of glue and where do i get the putty?

Silver R/T

Glue was SEM 68432 General purpose adhesive

and putty was this

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

twodko

Hello Farmer,

Welcome to the site! On my 69 grille I had some broken mounting tabs and a crack all the way through the left hand end of the grille where it meets the center section.................yeah, I know its hard to visualize w/o a pix.
Anyway I bought a "PlastiFix" kit in clear. They made black too. This stuff is excellent IMHO. You're actually welding the peices together. Using MEK is another very good method but maybe better left to pros.
You mix the powder with the liquid solution then I dabbed some on the broken tab peices layed out flat on a baggie and gently held them together for a couple seconds. Bonded solid as a rock. then I did the same thing to mount the repaired tab to the grille. For the full break, I spread a thin layer on both edges and held them together with blue painters tape. I sanded the welds smooth, primered and painted. Perfect! Strong as hell. Check it out. Good luck.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: twodko on February 21, 2010, 12:54:55 PM
Hello Farmer,

Welcome to the site! On my 69 grille I had some broken mounting tabs and a crack all the way through the left hand end of the grille where it meets the center section.................yeah, I know its hard to visualize w/o a pix.
Anyway I bought a "PlastiFix" kit in clear. They made black too. This stuff is excellent IMHO. You're actually welding the peices together. Using MEK is another very good method but maybe better left to pros.
You mix the powder with the liquid solution then I dabbed some on the broken tab peices layed out flat on a baggie and gently held them together for a couple seconds. Bonded solid as a rock. then I did the same thing to mount the repaired tab to the grille. For the full break, I spread a thin layer on both edges and held them together with blue painters tape. I sanded the welds smooth, primered and painted. Perfect! Strong as hell. Check it out. Good luck.

Tom
That's the stuff I used on my grille for several cracks and broken tabs.  That stuff is the best.  I did a thread on it.  Look it up.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.