News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 charger wit 318

Started by 92454ss, February 15, 2010, 04:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

92454ss

okay iam new to this wedsite... okay i got a 73 charger se... the orginal motor blew up so i put in a 82 dodge diplomat cop engine in it ... its bored 30 over edy performer intake and 600 cfm carb and hedman headers...the heads are makin a noking noise so i bought a set of ported n polished 360 j heads all redone... and i bought a edy performer cam .. my ? will this set up work? i got a stock 904 torque flight tranny with stock i think 276a gears out back.... i have read that i will drop my comperession?

Classic boy

If you do nothing to the J's and bolt them on then yes they will drop the compression.

If they were mine I would cc them to determine the combustion chamber volume of them.
If they are already been milled and close to 60cc then that will work on a 318.
If the comb chambers on the J's are 63cc or bigger then you CR will drop dramatically.

92454ss

the heads were ported and polished with new valves to flow better exht was ported to...

mikesbbody

Welcome  :cheers: how about a pic of your Charger?

71383bee

Quote from: 92454ss on February 15, 2010, 06:30:36 PM
the heads were ported and polished with new valves to flow better exht was ported to...

Okay...I am guessing that you really don't know that all of that does nothing to the compression of the motor and really does not answer the question. 

What cc' is the combustion chamber?
Where larger valves installed?

I am also very curious at how you diagnosed a "knocking noise" to replace an entire head.  A head is really a big chunk of iron...moving parts like pistons, valves, etc kind of do the knocking around.  Just swapping heads may not resolve your issue and putting on heads with bigger combustion chambers will lower the compression of the motor and cause a ton more issues for you to resolve...
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

92454ss

they did not put bigger valves... they just put new valves with springs and valve guides.... the mechanic said my valve guides on the 318 were out.. all they did to the j heads was ported them and polish them and put new valves and springs and cleaned them up.....