News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ever restore a 1st gen headliner?

Started by Ghoste, February 06, 2010, 10:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Mine is in good shape but that doesn't mean it always will be and I can't say that I've ever heard of anyone doing this.  What is that stuff that covers the fiberglass anyway, some sort of black flocking?

mauve66

someone on the 1st gen site found some flocking for the rear privacy board (mine has always been blank and i'm the 3rd owner) but i don't know if it's the same stuff or not
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

ChgrSteve67

I cleaned mine up with a brush, sprayed some adhesion promoter and then sprayed it with vht vinyl dye.

I did not have any major damage in the headliner.

The only other way I have seen one that was in bad shape repaired was with some foam insulation and a few yards of stereo speaker cloth, a light shot of glue and press to cover.

The headliner itself is various layers of insulation, cardboard and some type of felt pressed together. Would be really hard to duplicate the look and curved shape along with the indentations.

mauve66

hey steve, you don't think that spray flocking someone used on their privacy board would do the trick??  if there was actual damage he might be able to repair it with a light coat of fiberglass then do the flocking???  i think he should try so the rest of us know what options we have......................... :2thumbs:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

ChgrSteve67

I have my doubts about the flocking.

I'm thinking more like pool table felt.  Do they make black pool table felt?

Ah they even have lots of color choices.
http://www.insidepool.com/order/Pool+Table+Cloth+&+Felt/Mali+Cloth+&+Felt

Ghoste

Quote from: mauve66 on February 08, 2010, 06:22:58 PM
i think he should try so the rest of us know what options we have......................... :2thumbs:

If you mean me, mine is still in good shape so I'm not about to tackle it.  You go first. ;)

mauve66

Quote from: Ghoste on February 08, 2010, 11:41:17 PM
Quote from: mauve66 on February 08, 2010, 06:22:58 PM
i think he should try so the rest of us know what options we have......................... :2thumbs:

If you mean me, mine is still in good shape so I'm not about to tackle it.  You go first. ;)

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim