News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power or manual brakes....

Started by Rolling_Thunder, February 11, 2010, 12:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

well I am at a crossroads...       I am debating installing power brakes on my Charger....            I am worried about loss of road feel but feel my big disc brakes will not live up to their potential without the power assist.

So - I already have a hydroboost unit...     but need to make the pressure lines, return lines, and fab a mounting block...       any idea on what I should do ?

I plan on autocrossing this pig every so often and think the hydroboost will be worth the investment but I am not 100% sure quite yet...       

Anyone who has a working hydroboost want to chime in ?   Mike ?  Pete ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

tan top

thinking about hydroboost also , when i finaly swap to Discs :yesnod:  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

71charger_fan

Power brakes don't stop any shorter than manual brakes, they just require less pedal effort. I'll keep the pedal feel and stick with manual.

six-tee-nine

Big disc brakes might ask fo more hydraulic pressure so when powered they might brake alot better with the same force applied at the pedal.

Personally i think non power brakes are from the stone age and modern traffic demends good brakes so i'm convinced power is the way to go.
I'm also leaning towards a hydraboost setup but want so know what big (18" wheel) 4 wheel disc setup will work best with it.......

so :  :popcrn: :popcrn:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

70charginglizard

I tell you...I'm on the fence right now on this one. The power brake systems on these things can be a real challenge to get working properly as well as expensive.  I'm right at the (hopefully) tail end of completion with mine but its been a 3 month battle to get there and I'm still not sure if it's going to work yet. Just got the system bled out tonight. Hopefully the weather will clear soon so I can get it out and test it out. Then I'll give you an opinion as to weather or not it was worth it.  :-\
70charginglizard

Mike DC

These are 3800-lb cars.

You probably won't find a 2800-lb modern car with unassisted brakes.  

70charginglizard

Quote from: 70charginglizard on February 12, 2010, 08:11:07 PM
I tell you...I'm on the fence right now on this one. The power brake systems on these things can be a real challenge to get working properly as well as expensive.  I'm right at the (hopefully) tail end of completion with mine but its been a 3 month battle to get there and I'm still not sure if it's going to work yet. Just got the system bled out tonight. Hopefully the weather will clear soon so I can get it out and test it out. Then I'll give you an opinion as to weather or not it was worth it.  :-\

Opinion is in.

got to take the newly power booster disk brake set up out for a spin and it's got issues. Brakes are responsive again finally but there is a "Pst" sound coming from inside boot on the newly remonufactured booster I got from napa.

It's official. after what it took to get the master/booster (3 or 4 back and forths...wrong part from napa) and then the pain in the butt part about having to get it all installed and bled out. then to find that I will probably have to pull it out again which sucked by the way I officially hate this adventure at this moment in time :brickwall:
70charginglizard

Tilar

Go fast cars need stop fast brakes. Instead of one that goes from 0 - 60 in 5 seconds, I want one that goes from 80 to 55 in 2.5 seconds.  :2thumbs:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

71charger_fan

It's your car, do what you want. I really don't care. However, power brakes, as a term, is a misnomer. They're power-assisted. You're not going to develop any more line pressure, you just don't have to push as hard on the pedal. Today's cars are marketed to the lowest common denominator, meaning "power brakes" are standard. I believe this is because most consumers believe it's somehow better. It is for some, especially the elderly. I don't know how what's essentially a vacuum canister with a rubber diaphragm moves a braking system out of the stone age, but to each his own. I can easily "lock 'em up" at 4200lbs with me in the car. I'm running Volare front and Mustang Cobra rear disks from Dr. Diff and am extremely happy with the braking system. If I can find a set of the proper adapters, I'll switch the front disks to the larger diameter rotors, but it's not urgent.