News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 rallye dash/radio removal

Started by Tilar, May 17, 2010, 07:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

I want to swap my AM radio in the 73 to an AM/FM, and I also want to change the 120 speedometer with a 150. I've removed the 4 screws at the face of the instrument panel, the two nuts on the radio knobs and a small 1/4 inch nut holding a brace to the back of the radio, but it still doesnt want to come loose. It's getting harder for me to get under the dash and see what I need to take loose. Does anyone know how many other bolts/nuts/ screws I need to take loose and where they might be?

Also, The guy that bought this car new added an FM converter, but it also has a speaker control for front/rear speakers under the dash. I'm assuming it is an aftermarket also but I'm not sure.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Nacho-RT74

rear fader knob mounted on map light/seatbelt insert is stock for mono radios with rear speaker option ( AM or AM/FM but Mono )

there is another screw ( hex head, not sure about the size ) attached betwen a cluster frame/housing extension and a side of the radio faceplate... only way to get access is remove ashtray housing and with a small rachet socket and long extension using the ashtray opening

Cluster has another couple of phillips screws below the dash frame at a sides of stering column

I WOULD remove the AC control too to make easier to remove the cluster ( two 3/8" head nuts and a small hex screw hoding an extra rear bracket to housing )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Tilar

Great, Thanks. I'll give that a try today.
Dave  

Tilar

Got the cluster out, Changed the speedo to the 150 and put the cluster back in. I still need to put the radio in but I did hook it up to make sure it works.

I did come up with some sort of clip left over and I have no idea where it might go. My phone battery died so I don't have a pic but I'll get one tomorrow.
Dave