News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona clone parts and cost

Started by 68RRFlyer, February 05, 2010, 01:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RRFlyer

Hey fellas and fellettes,

A buddy of mine wants a Daytona in the worst way but knows he'll never be able to afford a real one.  I've been trying to convince him to buy yours Troy, but he's not that rich! :icon_smile_big:  Anywhoo, him thinking I'm some "All Charger knowing" egotistical car guy :rofl:, he was curious about me building a clone for him and the cost involved.  We did this before, and I ran down what a typical non-R/T Charger would run him and that wasn't including ANY Daytona clone parts so he had an idea of the basic car cost involved.  I told him I'd get back to him on it since I wasn't sure on the exact costs, so for those building the clones out there, any idea what the total cost is in parts for a correctly done or close to it clone?  I know the nose would be a good expample of where some cost savings would be beneficial (metal versus fiberglass). Are there some parts that just aren't available or is most of the stuff being reproduced or substitutions being used (the vega rear window for example)?  I told him the total parts may be around $15K, but not 100% sure.  Am I close?  Thanks guys.

Cheers  :cheers: 
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

hemi68charger

Hey Dave..
This is a good thread to follow. Brian's utilizing the good stuff from Erik Nelson..

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,59899.0.html

You can also get other stuff from:

http://www.wingcarfab.com/

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

best bang for the buck is to look for someone elses unfinished project , they come up for sale from time to time . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

I have a guy that wants to trade me a matching numbers 69 Charger for my 68 runner. One of my guys said, "I guess you'll be turning this one into a Daytona clone too". I said "hell no". Too much work. (Besides, I have a real wingcar to spend all of my time and money on now)

Like moparstuart said...buy someone else's project where all of the hard stuff has already been done.

If you do decide to build one, I have a few extra parts lying around.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

68RRFlyer

Troy, you forget to enter that thread link?  I think I found it though.....  I keep telling him to buy your car! :brickwall:

No, I'm not paying for this, I'm just curious how much it'll cost him in parts to do the conversion.  He wants to do it, not me, all I'm doing is trying to find out a number for him.  I was curious to know in parts only, what someone with a clone had spent so I could pass it along. 

Thanks!  :icon_smile_big:

Cheers  :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

hemi68charger

Quote from: 68RRFlyer on February 05, 2010, 05:44:38 PM
....  I keep telling him to buy your car! :brickwall: ....

No kidding.. He would have an original and I could get another original. Two happy campers.......  :cheers:

If he lives here in Houston like us, he can test drive it......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

dreamcatcher

You could also get the Janak stuff which is pretty complete for around 8500.00 delivered or if your close to him around 7500.00 It is A LOT OF WORK! The fitting and tweaking things to make it right.I don't know about the Daytona parts but the Superbird parts leave a lot to be desired.If you have the will it can be done to look very nice.I am doing a Superbird tribute and just for an example I am into it for about 35 Large.Granted that was buying a good Satellite Sport body and a special engine to make it unique!But it is an option if your serious.
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

moparstuart

i would say you need to budget 40-50 k to build a nice complete clone including the charger . if he does most of the work him self he car save some money 

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE