News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Russo Steel carnage pics

Started by speedfreak68, January 26, 2010, 10:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Bad news. Did you see pics 90 and 91? Flattened the windshield frame on that Hemi Cuda covertible. :o Same with the Roadrunner in pics 110 and 111. Several other windshield frames got it too. That guy driving out while trying to see through the shattered windshield of his busted Mustang doesn't look at all happy. Looks like the Tucker convertible escaped unharmed though.

resq302

Wonder if Russo's insurance would cover those cars that got damaged?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Aero426

Quote from: resq302 on January 27, 2010, 09:04:52 AM
Wonder if Russo's insurance would cover those cars that got damaged?

Only if you could prove they were negligent.     Otherwise the insurance coverage lies with whomever owns the car at that time.   

Todd Wilson

Seen several cars full of bondo................

Todd

kidsixpack

I looked at every picture which I'm sure that most of you did.  Made me remember just how much I love all cars!  I have a question for you body guys.  Some of the cars with rather minor damage seem to have the paint flaked or shipped right off.  Why do some cars do that and some don't.  Is it something simple like properly prepairing prior to paint or is there  more to it?  If a new car gets a dent it doesn't flake off.
KID :shruggy:
69 1/2 Super Bee V2 buckets console 4spd with radio delete.
1987 Grand National Low miles original
1989 TTA Low miles light mods
95 Lightning Light mods
95 Bronco Sport low miles Lifted light mods

Aero426

Quote from: kidsixpack on January 27, 2010, 08:13:56 PM
I looked at every picture which I'm sure that most of you did.  Made me remember just how much I love all cars!  I have a question for you body guys.  Some of the cars with rather minor damage seem to have the paint flaked or shipped right off.  Why do some cars do that and some don't.  Is it something simple like properly prepairing prior to paint or is there  more to it?  If a new car gets a dent it doesn't flake off.
KID :shruggy:
It's tough to match the adhesion of paint properly applied at the factory.    On a repaint, there is the prep factor, how thick it the top coats are, did they mix product systems, conditions when it was sprayed - any number of things. 

A383Wing

I heard from a guy who was there...they say $10M in insurance claims

Todd Wilson

While there were many many high end cars there damaged and it all is very sad to see   but at looking at those photos it looks like there were several hunks of crap all slicked up hoping for a high dollar auction sale.  I wonder how many quality cars were really there.

Todd

mopar73

71ChallengeHer

tan top

Quote from: mopar73 on January 28, 2010, 09:10:35 PM
That was painfull to look at :'(

:yesnod: sad sites !! there were some awesome cars there by the looks of it  :icon_smile_blackeye:   :rotz:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

DodgeByDave

Of course it's a can of worms anytime you involve the lawyers, I ain't one and I have no idea what the statutes are in Arizona. I do know that civil courts are a much different animal than the criminal courts.

According to my sister (lawyer in Florida) that with the youtube videos and the deal of not letting anyone in until they had cleaned up the damage, R&S will get hammered in court......IF this was in Florida. She has fun with the aspect of "failure is proof of negligence". Lawyers.

Of course I wasn't there, But I have read several descriptions of damage done by the clean up, I believe that on one of the mopar boards it was described as "when removing the tent, the canvas snagged on the running board and tore off the running board and the fender".

If I was Russo and Steel, and I wanted to keep having auctions that people attended, I would make everyone happy very soon. Anyone that isn't happy, has a case.
III, we are everywhere

resq302

That is why I said in my previous post questioning who would ultimately be responsible for the damage.  Since the tent caused the damage to a lot of the cars, I would say that Russo/Steele would have to pay since it was their function or facility.  If you are in a building and part of it collapses on you, the property owner is liable.  I can't see that the auction company would not have any kind of insurance  let alone liability insurance for something such as this that might have happened.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Aero426

Quote from: DodgeByDave on January 29, 2010, 10:11:04 AM
According to my sister (lawyer in Florida) that with the youtube videos and the deal of not letting anyone in until they had cleaned up the damage, R&S will get hammered in court......IF this was in Florida. She has fun with the aspect of "failure is proof of negligence". Lawyers.

It is important to note that the FIRE MARSHALL was the authority who denied access to the facility until Saturday, not the auction company.  

Aero426

Quote from: resq302 on January 29, 2010, 11:46:45 AM
That is why I said in my previous post questioning who would ultimately be responsible for the damage.  Since the tent caused the damage to a lot of the cars, I would say that Russo/Steele would have to pay since it was their function or facility.  If you are in a building and part of it collapses on you, the property owner is liable.  I can't see that the auction company would not have any kind of insurance  let alone liability insurance for something such as this that might have happened.

Again, those who sue will have to prove that the auction company was negilgent.    Tents of that size   100' x 800' were signed off by the local authorities prior to the event.   As I see it, sueing the company over an Act of God may be not be easy to prevail.   They got the people out of the tents ahead of time, which shows they acted responsibly towards the situation.    

This is really, really unfortunate.  I feel for the owners.   But I don't know how it could have been much different.   A Barrett-Jackson exec posted on Moparts that the winds at the Russo site were 50 mph over and above what they experienced at Barrett-Jackson a short distance away.  

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Aero426 on January 29, 2010, 12:12:28 PM
Quote from: resq302 on January 29, 2010, 11:46:45 AM
That is why I said in my previous post questioning who would ultimately be responsible for the damage.  Since the tent caused the damage to a lot of the cars, I would say that Russo/Steele would have to pay since it was their function or facility.  If you are in a building and part of it collapses on you, the property owner is liable.  I can't see that the auction company would not have any kind of insurance  let alone liability insurance for something such as this that might have happened.

Again, those who sue will have to prove that the auction company was negilgent.    Tents of that size   100' x 800' were signed off by the local authorities prior to the event.   As I see it, sueing the company over an Act of God may be not be easy to prevail.   They got the people out of the tents ahead of time, which shows they acted responsibly towards the situation.    

This is really, really unfortunate.  I feel for the owners.   But I don't know how it could have been much different.   A Barrett-Jackson exec posted on Moparts that the winds at the Russo site were 50 mph over and above what they experienced at Barrett-Jackson a short distance away.  

This can be somewhat of a double edged sword.....They may have accepted responsibility by doing the right thing and ushering out the people for their safety.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

DodgeByDave

Crazier lawsuits have prevailed, some with more merit have lost. Who knows?

One thing I figure is for sure, with an est. 10m large in damages there will be lawyers all over it. If not from the individuals then from the insurance companies.
III, we are everywhere

bull

Video of a tent going down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqAnXEOSLHw&feature=related

How much of the Barrett Jackson auction takes place outdoors? I have to wonder about the wisdom of storing this much classic iron outside in January - even in AZ. :shruggy:

Here's video shot by a Porsche owner (parked next to a 70 GL) who looks to have dodged the bullet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzmFyCBxJP0&feature=related

Another by the same guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQzhZwSqfHk&feature=related

Aero426

Quote from: bull on January 29, 2010, 02:51:37 PM
How much of the Barrett Jackson auction takes place outdoors? I have to wonder about the wisdom of storing this much classic iron outside in January - even in AZ. :shruggy:
The majority of the cars at B-J are in tents outside.     Some smaller high end collector car auctions are held at hotels where cars can be inside the parking structure.   Russo Steele had this setup a few years ago.   But when you expand and get close to 1000 cars to sell, being inside is a problem. 

MichaelRW

I have to believe all consignors had to sign a release of liability form to get their cars entered.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........