News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Performer rpm vs SD

Started by flyinlow, February 03, 2010, 07:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I understand the dual plane rpm intake produces peak power sooner then the single plane SD.  Why?

firefighter3931

Quote from: flyinlow on February 03, 2010, 07:41:59 PM
I understand the dual plane rpm intake produces peak power sooner then the single plane SD.  Why?

The answer is complicated but it boils down to runner design. In a nutshell, the dual plane is more restrictive so it creates a stronger vacuum signal at lower engine speeds. Each cylinder is seeing only 1/2 of the carburator with the reduced plenum size of the dual plane (divided center). A single plane using an open plenum has all 8 cylinders seeing all 4 venturies of the carb so the (vac) signal is weaker down low. It's a matter of airflow restriction in the design of the manifold that "tunes" the engine for specific rpm ranges.

That's my semi educated explanation > :icon_smile_big:  :lol:

Here's a good read on intake manifold design : http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/intake-tech-c.htm#new

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

flyinlow

Thanks Ron  :2thumbs:

I will have to read that a couple times.

I got a NOS Thermoquad on ebay. I wanted to take the RPM intake / performer 800 off and try the Street Dominator with the new TQ with a 4 hole spacer. That article talked about a single plane with a divider. Wonder if you can make a plate with a partial divider to install under the carb.

I was suprised that the Individual runner /carb did so well across the board.

elacruze

Back in the day (I hate that phrase but it works) when Holley Strip Dominators and Edelbrock Torkers ruled, it was pretty common on smaller engines to make a carb spacer plate with a plenum divider hanging from it. The closer to the plenum floor the divider was, the better the bottom end was. I was never convinced that this was a better solution than a smaller carburetor, usually it was the guys trying to force a 355" small block Chevy to swallow an 850 holley DP.

Eric
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.