News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

pinging & knocking advice

Started by Charger72SE, January 25, 2010, 10:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger72SE

last year the Charger really got a base case of pinging & knocking on acceleration & going up hill.

here's what changed from the past:
- I drove the car a lot less (about 350 miles) so the gas sat in the tank longer
- I had a new stock distributor installed which has lighter springs in it

I gradually richened the Holley carb A/F mixtures screws in half turns until they are now half way out.  My Champion spark plugs still don't have a tan color on the ceramic centers.

this was my plan for spring:
- make sure the new distributor was installed at 10* BTDC
- add Stabil to the gas everytime I fill up (I really think the 93 octane Mobil gas I'm buying may have ethynol even though it's not suppose to)
- I'm going to have A/F bungs installed on the exhaust pipes & test the A/F with a K&N A/F tester that I have
- if this doesn't rid the pinging & knocking, retard the distributor 2-3*

does this make sense?  anything else that I should do?

thanks!!

Sublime/Sixpack

Of the three changes you mentioned I'd suspect the distributor. Don't you have another one you can slip in there for a quick check?
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

elacruze

See, you already know what to do.

Get fresh gas.
Put heavier springs in the distributor.
Richen up the carb.

Without those things addressed, anything else is Navel-Gazing.

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Runner

the carb adjustment screws just effect the idle.  to richen the carb up at cruise youll need to put a bigger jet in.   if you only drove it 350 miles a year put race gas in it  lol.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Charger72SE

thanks for the advice!

I read an old article on 72 Chargers with 440 HP and it suggested going from .060 jets to .063 for better power - next carb rebuild I'll do that

I'm going to check the timing first - since "timing is everything" and my local garage who put in the new distributor, has done some shoddy work in the past.

trust but verify!!

thanks again