News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Discoverd a Well Made, Hitch Mounted, Bike Rack

Started by Old Moparz, January 30, 2010, 04:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

Just bought a new, "Swagman" brand, platform style, bike rack, & for the first time in a while, I'm very excited about getting something that's much better in quality than I had expected!  :yesnod:

So many times you read about how someone bought some POS item, from some dirtbag seller, paid too damn much money, got way less than they should have, & posts about it so nobody else gets burned. I just wanted to point out a decent item for a fair price in case anyone else is hunting for a bike rack.

Not that most of you guys would put down a beer long enough to go pedaling somewhere.   :lol:

I needed a rack for 3 bikes now that my daughter finally learned to ride last summer. Putting brand new mountain bikes in a pile inside the bed of my truck drives me nuts. Even with moving blankets, the bikes will go flying & get damaged, or the truck will. It's also a pain to dig handle bars out of spokes when one bike gets lodged in the adjacent one. They're also very heavy for my wife to climb in to drag them out. Also, they take up so much room since I have a cap & standing them up in the bed isn't an option.

I researched a few racks all between $150 & $500 & wasn't sure what I wanted. I went to a few bike shops, priced & compared, but then saw a Schwinn brand, 4 bike, hanging style rack in Target for $99. I wasn't expecting much, but since I didn't have to pay shipping & could return it if it was junk, I went ahead & bought it.

Well, it was junk.  :lol:

The Schwinn had a 1-1/4" tube for the hitch with a crappy plastic sleeve to make it fit the 2" receiver on my truck. It had tons of play & movement, & the girl's bikes that my wife & daughter have wouldn't fit, or hang on the cradling hooks. You'd be lucky to get 2 men's bikes on there & they would move all over while you were driving if you did. I returned it & made the decision to get a platform bike rack that allows the tires to sit in the cradles. Also, the 2" hitch was mandatory for me since I knew it would be beefier & not move around.

Found it on Amazon.com:   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GKN45C/ref=ox_ya_oh_product
Ordered it on Jan 23rd & got it yesterday, Jan 29th. Price is slightly more now, but still has free shipping.

Subtotal of Items:         $212.93
Shipping & Handling:        $42.16
Super Saver Discount:   -$42.16
     ------
Total before tax:          $212.93
Estimated Tax:               $17.30
     ------
Total for this Order:   $230.23

Here's what I got, I just haven't mounted it on the truck & put bikes in yet since it's 13 degrees outside.  :o
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

BrianShaughnessy

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm.... nice  :yesnod:    Not that you can bring bikes to Carlisle... but the E-town swap is coming up and that place is notorious for bikes.   

That'd fit right onto the hitch of the 5.9 Grand Cherokee I just picked up  :icon_smile_cool:    Which I'd be working on except it's about 13 degress out. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Old Moparz

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on January 30, 2010, 06:21:40 PM

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm.... nice  :yesnod:    Not that you can bring bikes to Carlisle... but the E-town swap is coming up and that place is notorious for bikes.   

That'd fit right onto the hitch of the 5.9 Grand Cherokee I just picked up  :icon_smile_cool:    Which I'd be working on except it's about 13 degress out. 

Hey Brian,

Are you considering E-town? A friend of mine in NJ goes to that show, I may tag along if nothing comes up that weekend.

I have to test it out to make sure it works as good as I think it will, but if you do ever need to borrow the bike rack for a trip sometime, let me know.  :cheers:
               Bob                

BrianShaughnessy

Usually my friend and I have been going down and doing a full day on Saturday and drag azz back home that evening.   Not sure of this years plan... he mentioned staying over.   It's pretty big, lotta walking.  Possibly wet and possibly hot... never know for sure.

The bikes are worse there than the golf carts at the Nats... so sometimes you just get tired of fighting and go along. I took my Schwinn OCC stingray down a couple times but not the last few times.

I have a friend that has a spot that we dump a cooler off at and stop by from time to time.

We'll see what happens come April  :cheers:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

warmpancakes

whats that thing weigh?   because with 2 bikes on it Id be willing to bet your hitch will be overloaded

Old Moparz

Quote from: warmpancakes on January 30, 2010, 09:12:33 PM

whats that thing weigh?   because with 2 bikes on it Id be willing to bet your hitch will be overloaded

You do know it's for bicycles & not motorcycles, right?  :lol:

It's very heavy, not something my wife is going to be dragging around & using if I am not around to help. I just went back to the website to see what the shipping weight is, & it states 63 pounds. The black portions of the rack are powder coated & steel tubing. The loops that cradle the tires are aluminum, & the hold down hooks & hardware are metal, but the knobs are plastic & look like the weakest parts.
               Bob                

warmpancakes

I know that but I work for a hitch company and people dont understand "tongue weight"   When it says 350 lb tongue weight they think they can get a hitch mounted rack and put 300lbs on it.   ::)  Bike racks are very hard on trailer hitches and the cars they attach to.  :2thumbs:

Old Moparz

Quote from: warmpancakes on January 30, 2010, 09:23:56 PM
I know that but I work for a hitch company and people dont understand "tongue weight"   When it says 350 lb tongue weight they think they can get a hitch mounted rack and put 300lbs on it.   ::)  Bike racks are very hard on trailer hitches and the cars they attach to.  :2thumbs:

Okay, I see why you're asking, & it makes sense.    :cheers:

The instruction sheet that came with it warns of overloading it, or using it where there is very low ground clearance. I was a little surprised to see it was thorough, but with common sense lacking in lots of people, I suppose they have to. The bikes we have are extremely light. Mine & my daughter's are both aluminum, & I'm not sure what my wife's is made of, but it isn't that much heavier than ours. I also doubt we'll ever have more than 3 bikes on it.
               Bob