News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Possible engine swap?

Started by wayfast1500, September 09, 2009, 01:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayfast1500

I did a search but couldn't find a answer.  I have a 98 ram with a 360 magnum which I'm doing a engine swap on.  My 73 has a 318, is it possible to drop my 360 in with the same tranny/kframe and mounts?  I'm hoping to mildly build the 360 this winter with a cam, port and polish the heads, intake and 4 barrel with underdrive pulleys.  I highly doubt I'd make much more than about 400 hp with this set up so I don't think the 8.25" rear end or tranny will let go unless I'm hard on it a lot.

wayfast1500

I do know about the flex plate ect, but I didn't see any info on doing this swap with a newer 360.  Are intakes avalible for these heads? 

Troy

I'm real short on time but...
Yes, the engine will swap. Is the trans an auto? If so, it will swap as well (although not as easily). However, the engine will bolt up to the original trans with the right flex plate. The 5.9 Magnum is externally balanced (but not the same as the LA 360) so you have to use the right parts. You'll need 360 motor mounts too (or there's a way to shim it). The Magnum head is considered the best flowing factory small block head that Mopar ever produced. Lots of aftermarket parts are available as well. I'm dropping a 5.9 Magnum into my Challenger.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

wayfast1500

Thanks thats what I was looking for, I wont be doing this until probably spring but I wanted to get a parts list going.  I thought I read the truck oil pan will work too?  I couldnt find anything on doing a magnum swap.  I have a auto in my charger now.  I was more worried about finding a intake ect.  All my pullys and accessaries should bolt up too correct?

ACUDANUT

Truck pans sit down too far and you will asking for problems.  :Twocents:
PUT a BB in it  :cheers:

Troy

Quote from: wayfast1500 on September 09, 2009, 03:15:29 PM
Thanks thats what I was looking for, I wont be doing this until probably spring but I wanted to get a parts list going.  I thought I read the truck oil pan will work too?  I couldnt find anything on doing a magnum swap.  I have a auto in my charger now.  I was more worried about finding a intake ect.  All my pullys and accessaries should bolt up too correct?
No, truck pan won't work but height isn't the issue. ;) You need a center sump pan for a car - any old 360 pan will work or you can buy a new one from Mancini (which happens to be on sale right now). Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of information on this swap here but there's a wealth of information on Moparts (hate to say that). You can keep the serpentine setup from the Magnum but you'll need an electric fuel pump and probably a different power steering bracket (the newer truck one hits the steering box on the earlier B body cars). If you want to make it look somewhat stock you need to change the front cover to the old style along with all the pulleys and brackets. You can use the ones from your 318. This will also allow you to use a mechanical fuel pump - provided you get a cam snout extension or swap cams to one with the eccentric on it. The Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap seems to be the preferred intake. Make sure you get the one with the Magnum head bolt pattern. These engines make really good power with improved intake and exhaust - plus they have roller cams from the factory. Check your factory heads for cracks (they're notorious - although no one can say definitively if it hurts performance). There are some real cheap - but very good - after market iron Magnum heads available. They are cheaper than reworking the originals in most cases. With a good cam, intake, and headers 400 HP isn't beyond reach for one of these things. Another member here dropped one in complete (EFI, OD trans, cruise, etc.) and gets 26 mpg out of it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

wayfast1500

thanks, thats what I was looking for.  I would like to do a big block but I already have the 360, and Id like to be driving the car next year and a 440 swap isnt in my time or money budget.

wayfast1500

Sorry to bring back a old thread, but Im trying to figure out whether I want to build my 318 with the 360 magnum heads, or build my 360.  To do the 360 swap I will need these to bolt to my 904?

Flexplate external balance
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-10239/

External Balance harmonic balancer
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-163318/

Center Sump Oil pan
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIL-30755/

Intake
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7577/

I was reading since the oiling systems are different and the magnum oils through the push rods the heads still have the marks to drill them out so I can run a standard LA block 360 cam?  I know the mounts are different but my accessaries off the 318 will bolt on the 360 even with the harmonic balancer?

SG1022

Don't forget the Driver's side 360 engine mount.  I am doing the same thing with my 73, except I am putting a 360 with 308 castings in it instead of magnums.

wayfast1500

I think theres a way to shim it too, anyone have any idea of what kind of power this combo will make?

SG1022

Shoot for 425 horses on pump gas :nana: