News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much power do you think my 440 makes?

Started by miller, January 01, 2010, 08:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

As far as lowering numbers for insurance companies I tend to think that it wasn't  common but probably did take place a little later on.  Hp numbers in the 60's were much more likely to be adjusted to points that suited a certain class of racing.  The Hemi and the 340 are a couple of good examples of lowered ratings.  The 428 Cobra Jet Fords were under-rated too as well as some of the GM engines that were clearly intended to participate in the sanctioned motorsport events that GM did "not" participate in  ::).  In cases where it made good marketing the figures were sometimes adjusted up too.  I'd point a finger at some of the smallblock Chev numbers here.
After the switch to SAE net hp numbers in the early 70's, it became easier to show lower figures to insurance companies.  There were probably also some cases where a number was deliberately made lower to appease the insurance lobby but it would have been during this net hp, oil crisis time.

RECHRGD

Quote from: Ghoste on January 06, 2010, 12:17:27 PM
As far as lowering numbers for insurance companies I tend to think that it wasn't  common but probably did take place a little later on.  Hp numbers in the 60's were much more likely to be adjusted to points that suited a certain class of racing.  The Hemi and the 340 are a couple of good examples of lowered ratings.  The 428 Cobra Jet Fords were under-rated too as well as some of the GM engines that were clearly intended to participate in the sanctioned motorsport events that GM did "not" participate in  ::).  In cases where it made good marketing the figures were sometimes adjusted up too.  I'd point a finger at some of the smallblock Chev numbers here.
After the switch to SAE net hp numbers in the early 70's, it became easier to show lower figures to insurance companies.  There were probably also some cases where a number was deliberately made lower to appease the insurance lobby but it would have been during this net hp, oil crisis time.

Yep, the hemi was definitely under rated.  There was a local guy that brought his stock 426 hemi to the chassis dyno here and he had a best pull of 310 rwhp.  He was pissed that his 425 hp factory rated engine would not do better.  But, if you use the X 1.53 calculation the gross hp would be at about 475hp.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

RECHRGD

Miller, did you ever get to run it on the dyno?  :shruggy: Just curious on who won the prize for the closest guess. :D  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

miller

Quote from: RECHRGD on January 15, 2010, 05:36:11 PM
Miller, did you ever get to run it on the dyno?  :shruggy: Just curious on who won the prize for the closest guess. :D  Bob

No that's usually something they have in the fall (everyone gets together and uses it for the day), its a little to crappy outside to do that kind of stuff... and with it only making that much power, I think its wisest to keep them believing in the legend of the muscle car and think it has 400 horse.

Its the same reason I never race it, better to have them think its fast than realize it isn't.

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Cooter

I'd Much rather be outrun in a Wedge By a Hemi, than in a HEMI by a Wedge....Time to purchase some parts for your 440 and then they won't have to "wonder" if it's powerful....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

miller

Cooter, If you have the cash then I have the wishlist,

Kettering is racking up the bills to the tune of 28,000 a year so until I have a diploma in my hand the charger will have to wait.

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

oldschool

yeah, it always comes down to " how fast can you afford to go? " :'(
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!