News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Am I the Only One Who Drove Thru Oil Based Paint on New Year's Day?

Started by TexasStroker, January 02, 2010, 05:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

As the title states, sad but true  :'(

We had a cruise night 1-2-2010 and the forecast went from a decent 50 degrees, to 35 degrees, (further insult to injury: late tonight they tacked on some freezing fog/drizzle for the oh so pleasant Saturday).

Well after seeing that I decided to go ahead and take advantage of the good weather we had today and get the cars out to stretch their legs.  Ran the Duster just fine with no issues and it seemed to like the weather.  Came back to get in the Charger and took the same route...just a quick stretch of long, flat roads with little traffic.

Everything seemed to be going well, the car ran great and wasn't to upset about being fired off after the cold spell etc.  Once I got back in the shop and locked everything up that changed.

Turning back from putting the door down I caught streaks of white on the quarter...skimmed with my eyes to see it ran bumper to rear wheel, and similarly (but not as intensely) from the front wheel up thru the midway point on the door.

My first thought after the initial scan and shock was "Holy S*** looks like paint!"  Then I try and calm myself by deciding it must just be silly string from a New Years Party or something...I came up on it and got a sinking feeling...crouched down and had the worser of the two scenarios come to fruition.

Next thought is, "How do I get it off?"  Which leads to a, "Well what kind of paint is it?"  And then of course, "How the heck did I wind up with paint all down the passenger side of the car anyway?  Wasn't any construction etc."

Not knowing if I was dealing with laytex or oil based paint I was afraid to do much.  The streaky nature had caused it to already dry, except for the top end of the caked on globs.  The dry stuff luckily came off fairly easily with my fingernail. 

Realizing that there wasn't much I could do aside from go about trying to find the best way to get the stuff off, I set out on a quest to retrace the route and find the source of the tragedy.  Didn't take long...I found a brand new gallon of oil based paint on the righthand side of an east bound lane on a farm-market road I took.  The position of the can, just on the side of the shoulder's line, led me to believe someone took off east bound (this is a 4 way stop) and lost the gallon...it hit midway in the lane, busted the lid open, dumped paint on impact and rolled its way down the slope of the road to a point where enough paint jumped out to keep the can from rolling into the ditch.

I could see where the main "spill" area had been traversed by myself and likely some other unfortuante ple.  The remaining paint was off to the side of the shoulder.  The can didn't say anything about removal from anything, just application directions.  I called a friend and had them research it and they found an article which said to use mineral spirits for oil based paints because it would not take off the clear coat.

After running into the store to get mineral spirits I set about trying it out on the wheel lip (low vis and beat by gravel anyway).  Idk if it needs to be cleaned up good, but I was not happy with the results and do not want to do the same to the quarter and rest of the spill area without getting some 2nd opinions. 
I have pretty good luck "scraping" it with my fingernail or a plastic trim panel tool...I do not want to scratch the paint, but I would rather have scratches than no clear coat.

Does anyone know what to do to get oil based paint off of a clear coated paint?  I'm not sure if the scraping is the best and then follow it up with clay bar, or if it should be treated as overspray or what?

Like I said the damage area runs from the rear bumper to the rear wheel...and the front wheel to the fender, rocker, and door.  The tires both have the paint dried in the grooves and sadly the front splash shiled got "decorated" as did the rear wheel well...which I had just redone with the completion of the trunk floor  :'(

I really hope no one has ever had this happen to them, especially in their Charger.  That said I hope someone can tell me the best way to get this stuff off!  I have a lot of time ahead of me trying to get things back to normal just on the painted panels.  The wheel wells are probably going to have to be re-done  :rotz:

This is really not how I intended to start the New Year.  The can must have been "lost" during the time I took the Duster past there and got the Charger warmed up to follow the same route :(

Pretty pissed off, sad, and disappointed...Any help would be appreciated.  For the rest of you here are some pics:

Front Wheelwell/Rocker:

Rear:

Thanks in advance for any insight on how to clean this up.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

dart3404

Goof off or Non acetone nail polish remover. In the wheel wells use Goof off and a plastic razor blade and a good pressure washer.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

rav440

to quote Cleveland Brown " OH THATS NASTY "

i know how you feel i had a white 81 Z28 and my wife had it out one day why she was riding the center line i dont know but the whole drivers side was covered in yellow paint  :brickwall:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

rt green

third string oil changer

70charginglizard

oh now that just sucks. Look like you got quite a bit of cleanup work in front of you. Take your time and I'm sure you'll get it all off.
70charginglizard

BBKNARF

Yes I agree with Dart3404 and RT Green, it happen to me once.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Mopar2Ya

After a wash & mild solvent, I'd use clay bar, then buff. GL.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Silver R/T

Try some wax and grease remover first. Is your paint base/clear or single stage, do you know?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TexasStroker

Sorry to hear anyone else has had this happen :(  What kills me is if I had just taken a different route, or been going straight I would have seen it and not even grazed it.  Coming in from a right turn you just can't see a spill.  On top of that the roads had just melted off from a snow/ice storm Thursday, so there were occasional patches of wet etc.

Sorry that post is so long too, but at 3 AM after going thru that you just kind of ramble...

The paint I drove thru is oil based paint, believe the can's brand (that you could read, front was covered) was from StainZ.  I have pics of the paint can/location, but they are on my cell phone.

As for the Charger it is luckily a base/clear coat.

Will GoofsOff not damage the clear?  I had a guy locally tell me that, but I was unable to find any.  I picked up "Goo Gone" and "Krud Kutter," both of which say that they will remove oil based paint, but neither lists any sort of surfaces they are safe to use on :(  You can see by the pics why I was hesitant to just go to town with something.

It is frigid again and ice is on everything but the roads.  I guess I'll head to cruise night, and then hit a lumber yard in search for GoofsOff and then the AutoZone right beside it for some claybar.  I do have pently of WD40 and Greased Lightning I can use if that is the best case.

I only have a 1980s space heater, you know where the "warm" spot is 2" from the element, but I intend to stay out again until I basically start to quit feeling my toes or my hands crack.

So is that the best advise?  Hitting it with GoofsOff or a cleaner/degreaser?  Today is not the kind of day made for washing anything, but I may try it if I get to that point.  The wheel wells will keep me busy a LONG time  :'(

Thanks for the sympathy and feedback.  If anyone has anymore ideas to get the stuff off throw them at me...
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

A383Wing

I had the same thing last year on my Dakota...I used paint thinner on a rag....then wax it....cleaned right up

I tried the clay bar...didn't work for me....

TexasStroker

Sorry to hear about your Dakoata.  A guy I talked to today said he used paint thinner and it didn't take the clear off his truck.

Just so many options and I want to do what is best for the car.

Cruise night was kind of low-key, but still good.  4 Mopars, 0 fords, and 0 chevys...can't complain about that!  Total MoDomination!

It also gave me time to cut away and pick up some stuff.  I picked up a claybar for afterwards on sale at AZ for $8.99 and then finally found Goof Off at Lowes.  It says it is not safe on some automotive finishes, but fails to specify which ones :s  I'm not really liking my odds all that much right now...surprised the keyboard hasn't shocked me or something, lol.

I might put some on the inner wheel well lip and see if it gets the stuff off without seeming to hurt the clear. 
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

A383Wing

It didn't take the paint or clear off my Dakota when I used it....you are not gonna leave it on there for very long, actually, you are gonna put it on a rag and rub....just don't drench it and you will be fine.

Your arm is gonna hurt for a while, but car will survive

TexasStroker

I was out there most of the night last night, I wound up loosing feeling in my toes and had to come in...didn't notice my hands had cracked and were bleeding either  :rotz:

No doubt I'll be sore, I opted to sit on the creeper seat and bend as opposed to freeze on the concrete...might have to work something out there as well.  It is 24 right now, very hard to stay warm and optimistic out there.

I think I'm going to space it out with the front, quarter, and then front wheel well, rear wheel well...Should keep me busy for an awfully long time.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

rt green

third string oil changer

A383Wing

Chatt69chgr

I get tar off my car with lighter fluid.  It has not hurt the clear coat.  I've used goof off to get latex paint off stuff but have not tried it on oil based paint.  I would be real careful about using any kind of nail polish remover.  Not sure what's in it.  I don't think plain old pure gasoline would hurt the clear coat.  Not sure about gas adulterated with alcohol.  I would try various things in the most inconspicuous area first.  Of course, I am sure you will do that anyway.  Good luck and report back as to what worked.

TexasStroker

Sorry for the delay...meant to update this and haven't had the time...luckily there is lunch at work on Monday to rebound  :rofl:

I had a very well respected source second the mineral spirits route, so I went to town with it.  It did not take the clear off and removed the paint very well.

That said I have about 15 hrs or so in the removal to this point.  I have from the door striker back to the bumper 98% clear.  There were specks all over up to the belt line...you really couldn't even imagine it without being there and having to remove it yourself  :rotz:

The rear wheel well was a nightmare.  I have actually been stuck there (haven't gotten to work since Wed night) due to the cold weather.  Our highs were in the 20s, with -20 windchills for Thurs and Friday.  I had been accustomed to turning purple and loosing feeling in my extremeties, but the problem with that weather was....

It kept me from being able to re-paint the wheel well  :-\  I had just re-done the rear wheel wells when I finished up the trunk floor this summer (still haven't gotten to update that ancient thread).  I know I could have just "sprayed over" the paint streaks, but I can't force myself to lower my standards, especially when I had just put all that time getting the wheel wells just as I wanted them.

It is forecasted in the 50s this week, so I'm thinking I'll get back out in the shop tonight and prep the wheel well and mask it etc...then shoot it Tues or Wed if time allows.  Once I finish that up I plan on tackling the front wheel well, which is luckily nothing like the rear wheel well.  There are prob a lot of "specks" on the fender, rocker, and scattered across the door for me to find as well.

I figure I still have another 5-6 hours in on getting things back to as they were.  I really wish all that same amount of time was invested in the console top plate or plotting an instrument cluster make-over but oh well.

I'm just glad the exterior cleaned up without stripping the clear.

I'll get pics up in a little bit...Thanks for the concern and again I hope no one else ever has this happen!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

After getting most of the heavy paint off the quarter and fender I started in on the worst segment...the rear wheel well.  I really can't even begin to tell you how heavy the paint was at both ends of the wheel well, particularly the front...and of course it was thrown all across the wheel well both sides and the top.  It also flung some out on the frame rail and even on the trunk floor I labored over for so long  :'(

Here are the two shots I have uploaded at this point:

Then here were the body shots after the initial clean up:

Like I said, I think I can mask everything tonight, get the prep work done and hopefully shoot the rear wheel well Tues/Wed as things will have warmed up enough.  Should get the time tonight to find the rest of the "specks" from the door forward.  After that it will be the front wheel well, floor pan, rocker etc.

Oh and how could I forget the tires  :eyes:

But for those that care the progress was made with mineral spirits...I have had no issues with the clear coat.  The wheel well is a total loss though  :'(

I will get pics up from the rest of the recovery process.  And I'll follow that with a long over due update on the trunk floor. 
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

A383Wing

yea...looks good....I think I went the Mineral Spirits route also....lots of rubbing....lots of asprin

TexasStroker

Quote from: A383Wing on January 11, 2010, 09:00:34 PM
yea...looks good....I think I went the Mineral Spirits route also....lots of rubbing....lots of asprin

Thanks and no doubt on the aspirin  :rotz:

It isn't so much the repetitive motion in the cold as it is the hellacious angles...I have found that rotaing between the creeper seat and the creeper sort of balances out the hunchback effect  ;D

Wound up getting off work late and then opted to run some errands...which effectivley frees up the rest of the week!  I should get quite a bit done tomorrow night...I am looking forward to getting everything back to normal and doing so in a shop above 30 degrees!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

bull

Glad things worked out for the most part. And to answer your original question, yes, I think you were the only one here who drove through oil-based paint on New Years Day.

66chargerkid

Glad you got it taken care off with minimal damage to the pocket book (though we havent factored in medical bills yet).

TexasStroker

Quote from: bull on January 11, 2010, 11:06:41 PM
Glad things worked out for the most part. And to answer your original question, yes, I think you were the only one here who drove through oil-based paint on New Years Day.

Thanks for reminding me  :lol:

I honestly wouldn't wish this on anyone...even if you drive a ford fiesta with an ls1.  Just not a fun situation.

I read somewhere on the interent that you alleviate most forms of hunchback syndrome with a heavy right foot.  As with most things on the internet, I believe it and will proceed ahead :icon_smile_big: 

Hope to have the rear wheel well sprayed tomorow.  Also my trusted source informed me that if mineral spirits won't get the job done on the tires that Easy Off is supposed to be pretty good in that department.  I will try it out and report back...
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Managed to get out tonight and wrap up the back end...

Here is the worst segment of the rear tire (it was like this all around in varrying portions of the tread):

After re-painting the rear wheel well:

All back together:

Went ahead and pulled the front wheel off to get a good luck at the upper end of the fender.  The paint is no where near as heavy, but it is scattered all over the arc of the fender  :(   I'll get started on it next chance I get.

The paint came off the tire pretty easy with just a tooth brush and a little dose of mineral spirits.  It is a little discolored on the tread after the clean-up, but I am thinking I will just put the sprayer on the tires to alleviate that concern. 
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!