News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Decklid Weatherstripping - Need Advice / Second Opinions

Started by Dodge Don, January 13, 2010, 08:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge Don

I was working on installing new trunk / decklid weatherstripping. ( 70 Charger )

Before going ahead and using the adhesive I installed the weatherstripping and had it held in place with tape...so I know it fits.

Then I tested closing the decklid. Will not close/latch. I adjusted the rear lock upwards and then can get it to close/latch but of course now the decklid is not flush with the top of the quarter panels.

I have the flat end of the W/S facing the inside of the trunk...the channelled side facing outwards....I think that is correct....am I right? And yes the joint is just left of center.

I'm assuming that because the W/S is new that I will have to move the lock mechanism to the lowest point possible to get the decklid to close and allow the decklid to compress the W/S over time and then keep moving the lock mechanism further down bit by bit as the W/S compresses until I get back to the correct decklid alignment???

Anyone else faced this? Any advice?

I have not clued it yet until I know exactly what my game plan is.

b5blue

The groove faces outward and if I were you I would remove the lock so you have a way in if the lock binds from the pressure of the new seal. There should be 2 bumpers on the deck lid that set down on round flat spots in the gutter corners, on mine they pretty much establish how far down the lid rests when the trunk is locked. If it's cold the new gasket will be stiff and in the corners, since it's not a molded corner turn it tends to make the catch bind till it gets use to being compressed into it's new permanent shape. That's why I say take the lock out, you can get allot more twist action from a long screw driver until it's set up and use to it's new home. I did mine when it was very hot out and had no problems.  :2thumbs:

Dodge Don

The key lock is not installed yet. Only the latch mechanism. I have been using a screwdriver to open it. And yes the decklid bumpers are installed. Good point about temperature though. Garage was about 45 degrees last night so the W/S wouldn't be as soft as in summer heat.

b5blue

Dodge Don

The decklid is already adjusted and is aligned/gapped perfectly. All I am doing is adding new W/S.

Charger-Bodie

Don,

Do you have the "good" weatherstrip? Or the one thats just cut from bulk? The good one is actually fitted and has a lip on it that hangs over except where it cant along the back. The reason I ask is that some of the cheaper ones are stiffer.

Ive always adusted the latch a little tight for a couple of days after installing the W/S just to kinda squish it some.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dodge Don

It is the Metro Moulded Supersoft TK2320

I'm sure the cold is the main factor as it isn't very sponge like right now.

Back N Black

Don, i had the same problem, did manage to get it closed. After about a week it was pretty much good to go. Its being about a year since i installed the weatherstrip and it fine now. The only difference, i installed my in July around 26 degrees.