News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Interior Floor Paint and Insulation

Started by john108, February 01, 2010, 02:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

[I may have uploaded this post twice due to a problem with the picture size]
I would like to ask 2 questions ('68 Charger R/T - Original Owner):

1) I just ripped out the original carpet and looked at the painted metal.  Other than being a flat, washed-out liiking color, it appears to be in acceptable condition.  It is an off red/maroon color but not an exact match for the exterior maroon.  There are areas where the black seam filler is sloppy.  Do you think that I should leave it alone, some form of matching color painting, or paint on POR-15?

2) Under the carpet was approximately a 3/4 inch thick layer of insulation.  It is a form of packed/compressed fibers.  See attached Picture.  What is it and is it available?

Just 6T9 CHGR

That is the jute backing on the carpet.  the new reproduction carpets come with the backing already installed on the carpet (although its made of more modern materials it is the same premise)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

The70RT

If all the paint and sealer is still good I would leave it like it is.  :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TylerCharger69

Lessee a pic of the floorpans!!   IMHO...it couldn't hurt to apply a bit more "protection" under there

maxwellwedge

If you can't see the ground - leave it alone!  :icon_smile_big:   If your original jute is in nice shape and you don't want it - I'll buy it off you.

john108

I had the car under a 10 x 20 canopy.  A strong windy rain storm distroyed the canopy.  The windows had been removed from the car and a minor flood occurred.  To dry it out, I ripped out the 40 year carpet as well as the insulation and it all went out into the trash.

Patronus

Personally, we use "chassis saver" on the floor/underside.
Should be available from any quality paint shop, we get ours from Sherwin-Williams (auto)
Watch out tho', that stuff is "the nastiest crap I've seen come out of a can"
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE