News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spoiler options

Started by motorcitydak, January 16, 2010, 03:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorcitydak

I would like to avoid the lift that these cars produce at high speeds so I would really like some sort of spoiler on the deck lid. Something form fitting and tasteful or course but still very important and functional. I would like something bolt on and hopefully not standing more than 6 or so inches off the lid. I would also like it to follow the contour of the rear end instead of something just straight across. Is there anything available that I could modify to fit? Or should I get out the foam and shape my own to be made from fiberglass?
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

suntech

What about the "nascar style" lip on the back of the trunk?  I guess you are not going to do 200 mph on dayly bases,  :shruggy:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

HPP

Bigger issue with the Charger is the recessed grill and back light.

The grill produces enough lift itself that adding a rear spoiler that forces the rear down is only going to make the front end even lighter at speed.

I'd work on pushing the front down before worrying about anything out back.

flyinlow

I think spoilers look great on some cars. However, at speeds below 100mph I don't think they do very much.

I use them at work , above 300 knots they are very impressive , by the time you have slowed to 200 knots they are not doing that much.

Also, when you spoil lift you induce drag. Less speed and gas milage.

motorcitydak

Quote from: HPP on January 17, 2010, 10:35:07 AM
Bigger issue with the Charger is the recessed grill and back light.

The grill produces enough lift itself that adding a rear spoiler that forces the rear down is only going to make the front end even lighter at speed.

I'd work on pushing the front down before worrying about anything out back.

There will be a chin spoiler too

I have been thinking about something like a nascar style one. Something like a long piece of aluminum with a hinge on the deck lid and a few struts along it to change the angle. Then I could put it down during normal driving and back up for when the fun starts
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

motorcitydak

I know I have seen a gen 2 with a daytona wing on the back of it, I mite have to give that some thought. I found a company that re pops em but it did not list the price. Anyone know what a wing would cost? I know those would provide all the downforce I would need, I am just not sure about the looks of it on my car.

Also, I was planning on opening the headlight doors at high speeds. There will be tons of room behind the lights for the air to go. Would that help get rid of some of that lift?
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

HPP

Quote from: flyinlow on January 17, 2010, 11:30:25 AM
I think spoilers look great on some cars. However, at speeds below 100mph I don't think they do very much.

Also, when you spoil lift you induce drag. Less speed and gas mileage.

True, but Chrysler research for the trans am package showed benefits as low as 65 mph. I do agree that down force is drag.

Quote from: motorcitydak on January 17, 2010, 11:15:34 PM
Also, I was planning on opening the headlight doors at high speeds. There will be tons of room behind the lights for the air to go. Would that help get rid of some of that lift?

The problem with opening the light covers is now all that air trapped by the grill is now under packed under the hood. I This is why the 500s had the grill flush mounted; it pushed the air around the car instead of piling it up in front.

Don't forget the backlight. That cool tunnel around the rear window generates a lot of dirty air. Again, that is why the 500s had a rear window plug to help smooth the flow.

You might see if you can dig up any info from Mr Angry. He is probably the one Charger owner who has spent a fair amount of time at speed with a 2nd gen.