News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the history on this car.

Started by matthompson, March 02, 2008, 04:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthompson

Hey everyone, I have just signed on, been a lurker for a couple of years now. I own several Mopars, including a '69 Dodge Charger,  '78 Chrysler Cordoba w/ 360 (all original), 74 Dodge Coronet w/ 318 w/ 91,000 actual miles (all original), '91 Dodge Dakota 4x4 w/ 318, '94 Chrysler Lebaron convertible, a '79 Dodge Lil' Red Express truck that is in the beginning stages of its restoration.

I recently bought another vehicle that I am seeking some information on, a 1979 Dodge (Aspen) Super Bee. I bought it because it has the engine that I need (a 360 Express) for my '79 Express truck.  The engine in the truck is siezed, and the engine in the car runs great and strong.  I bought the car cheap, as it was rear-ended some time ago. My plans were to take the engine and tranny out of the car and put into the pickup when the time comes.  But, some people have told me that I bought a rare car, and that I should fix it up.  I am not sure on how rare this car is, but I know that I have never seen another one like it around here.   I think the engine and tranny, wheels, steering wheel, and front seats, would be of better service to me transplanted into my other projects in the future.   I am just not sure if I should part the ol' car out, or spend the next few years fixing it up.

I have tried to research the story on these cars, but can't come up with much of anything.  So I signed on here to see if anyone here knows anything about a 1979 Dodge Super Bee, made in Canada, with a 360 Express engine.   So, does anyone here know anything about these cars, [production numbers, etc.]

Here are a couple of pics.  The only thing I know of this particular car is, the guy that owned it loved to drive this car, raced it at his local 1/8 mile track occasionally, he let his wife drive it one day, and she gets rear-ended which also shoved the car into the car in front of her, so damage on front and back.  After that he parked it next to his garage for the next 8 or 9 nears (starting the engine and letting it run for a while about once a month) till he died, then his son put it up for sale.

Ghoste

Honestly, I think you bought an Aspen that someone put a Super Bee stripe on at some point.  Coming from Canada and having worked at a Dodge dealer from 77 to 80, I can assure you that I've never seen or heard of such a thing.  There was the Aspen Super Coupe and the Aspen RT and Aspen SE but I'm 99.99% certain no Super Bee.  (not counting cars from Latin America here)

Magnumcharger

Ditto on Ghostes' statement.
Looks like a home brewed car. However, if it actually is coded for an E58 360 4v engine, that would make it a very scarce car on it's own.
Having worked a a few dealerships, I'm almost tempted to say that the whole "Superbee kit" might have been a dealer-installed sales promotion.
More pics please!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

matthompson

Quote from: Magnumcharger on March 02, 2008, 04:46:20 PM
Ditto on Ghostes' statement.
Looks like a home brewed car. However, if it actually is coded for an E58 360 4v engine, that would make it a very scarce car on it's own.
Having worked a a few dealerships, I'm almost tempted to say that the whole "Superbee kit" might have been a dealer-installed sales promotion.
More pics please!

Thanks for some info guys.  I never thought about the "Dealership Installed sales promotion Super Bee Kit" idea, but that is very well what this may be.  It has the stripe on the rear and a Superbee on the hood, Faded but they are painted on and not decals. {edited later: the stripe is painted but the circles around the Bee and the Bee itself is a decal} ANd it also has the 3 SuperBee emblems, one on the trunk lid and one on each front fender. 

I can't find a fender tag or anything to check for an engine code.  But if it was dealership installed, I can see them taking the time to drill the holes for attaching the Super Bee emblems on the fenders and trunklid.   So that may be what happened with this car. 

But still, do you think $800 was not a bad deal for a strong running and driving 360 Express engine.  If (when) I part this car out, the engine and drivetrain, steering wheel, and other odds and ends like the blower motor, seatbelts, etc. will be slated for the Express Truck.  Plus the front seats, door handles, mirrors, can be used on other project cars of the future.

Also, if anyone else might have any other info on a car like this, please share.

matthompson

Oh, it is fun to drive around too.

Just driving it up and down the back road where I live, it is very fast, and will break those huge tires loose with ease.

Can't wait to get my Li'l Red Express truck done so I can get to driving it.

TruckDriver

Ghost is right. Must of been a dealer thing. There was a Aspen Super Bee made, but for Mexico only. And those even have different decal packages.

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

69bronzeT5

Hows the rear frame rails? It looks like the back is bent :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bull

Ghoste

Which would have been easily detected by reading all of the original post, right down to the last paragraph.

Quote from: matthompson on March 02, 2008, 04:19:53 PM
, he let his wife drive it one day, and she gets rear-ended which also shoved the car into the car in front of her, so damage on front and back. 

skeets 66

I'm looking for a cheaper mopar to fix up for my son..i know where there is the same car,,,but crushed in the front....If your interested in selling the car after you get the drivetran out of it,,,,give me a yell if your not to super far away :icon_smile_cool:
I would like to get my son in a cheaper mopar,,,,but not to many of them around.I could get him a 4 door,,,but you know what he'll say to that....lol

JEFF

matthompson

Hey skeets 66, I sent you a message.   

Thanks guys for the info, I think I have come to the conclusion that this was a dealership special, and maybe someone ordered a 360 express in it, or put it in later at some time.

ghostduster

Hi Matt

As the owner of F Body Mopars on yahoo   here is what I can tell you so far,

F Body Super Bees were indeed manufactured in Mexico Super Bees in Mexico from 1971-1976 on a A body Dart Sport format but

in 1977 the Mexico Super Bee switched over to F Body Format Examples of the F body Super Bee are hard to find now in the 1977-1979 models

None of the Mexico Super Bees I have seen have stripes like yours, almost all F body versions had the optional quarter window louvers like R/T's and Roadrunners of the same year

I believe these Mexican Super Bees will have a special model designation on the 3rd line of the fender tags like Roadrunners, R/T's and Duster models...

Duster model F Bodys have a Special RPO code   A42 on that line  Roadrunners and R/T's would have something like a A67 or A57 or something like that..

I haven't seen a F Body Super Bee in person to View the tag or seen a good pictuer of it to find its special RPO Code

But I can tell you that your car appears to be a Decal and emblems added car because I have seen, nor heard of any canadian version of the F Body Super Bee...

If they existed I would have already found another example simular to yours

Walt