News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power Steering Low Pressure Hose Problem

Started by dkn1997, November 29, 2005, 10:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

Ok, had this problem when I first switched over to power steering from manual steering in my 68.  The low pressure hose from the pump to the box, the one that clamps on. The nipple on the box is twice the size as the nipple on the pump.  I am running a saginaw pump.  I just got a piece of hose that fit over the big nipple on the box and slipped it over a smaller piece of hose on the pump when I first did this swap 2 yrs ago.

Now I just bought a firm feel box and want to do it right.  Since the firm feel box does not come with any hose fittings on it, i had to swap them from my old crusty box.  So I am stuck with the same problem.  Is there another nipple I can get for the box itself?  a smaller one?  it just bots on there.

please see pics
RECHRGED

Chryco Psycho

the later steering boxes use an alum nipple that is smaller , just swap the alum housing

dkn1997

thanks.   where would I get one of those?   whether new, or if I go to the bone yard, what year cars could I use?

p.s. I promise not to post any more pics of my grungy steering pump that leaked from my last ghetto rig unless i clean it up first.
RECHRGED

dkn1997

RECHRGED

Chryco Psycho

I would hit the wreckers , a C body late 60s to early 80s Shoudl have what you need

dkn1997

RECHRGED

dkn1997

I posted this over at moparts asking where I could get one and a member replies "you can get one from me"

so I shoot him a PM, asking how much.  He responds $35.00!!    unbelievable.  I could see $5 or
$10 plus maybe a few more bucks to ship it, but $35.00? 

Trust me, I am not a cheapskate by any stretch of the imagination, but that seems excessive to me.  I can hold a real nipple off a real woman for less than that!!!
RECHRGED

cudaken

I think you know you shoud be running a fedural pump. I would say go with the correct pump and make your life easyer. But that brings up brackets, pullie and pump.

At this point I shell out the $35.00 and be glad you found one.

Cuda Ken
I am back

dkn1997

Ken, I thought that federal was the older style used until 68 or 69 and then they went to saginaw, making it the more common pump.  I actually have a federal pump but could not find brackets for it, so I bought a saginaw and brackets off ebay. 

do you think finding the right nipple is going to be that hard?
RECHRGED

Chryco Psycho

no I don`t , worst case I can probably run down to the local wreckers & get you one except that is is freakin cold out there now

dkn1997

thanks chryco, but I will track one near here.  there is still fome 80's stuff in the yards.  can't imagine that once I find a car with a pump that this part would be gone.

I researched this a lot when I originally converted the car to power steering and I remember getting the impression that saginaw was the way to go for parts availability.  hmmmmmm........ maybe it's just that I had an old model box with the big nipple on it.
RECHRGED

cudaken

Finding brackets is a pain period. But 68 was a Fedural, and then 69 went to the Saginaw. As far as parts, I just bought pump for my 68 Road Runner last year from local parts store. Cost me $49.95 plus core which I had.

Cuda Ken
I am back

dkn1997

Quote from: dkn1997 on December 01, 2005, 09:10:30 AM

so I shoot him a PM, asking how much.  He responds $35.00!!    unbelievable.  I could see $5 or
$10 plus maybe a few more bucks to ship it, but $35.00? 

Well, I gave a call to a guy I used to talk to from moparchat.  His name is Rob and some of you might know him as "rumblefish 360"  he posts at chat and at moparstyle.  anyway, I never met him, just talked to him once or twice and exchanged some emails over the years.  So he has one and I go to his house today and it's just what Ineed.  And when I asked him what he wanted for it, he said "a high five" or a "thanks"  Now that's a car guy.  And you can bet your ass If I ever have anything he needs, it will be gratis as well. 

Now that other 35 dollar offer is really burning my ass.  I am really tempted to email that guy and let him know that I really don't appreciate him trying to take advantage of me like that.
RECHRGED

cudaken

I would not bitch about the $35.00 anyway. Some car guys are into it for money, some for the frineds. I am into the friend more.

You can run out of money, but friends never run when you are out of money. Well something like that :icon_smile_wink:

Cuda Ken
I am back

dkn1997

hey ken, good to hear from you.  I hear what you are saying about some guys being in it for the money.  things really bothered me about it:

1.  I was not looking for NOS Crossram carb linkage or some other rare parts.  There are probably thousands of these out there.  the only reason
    I was having trouble finding one is that few people are adding power steering to anything, so it rarely comes up.  It's not "rare."  it's the kind of part most people will pull out of a trash can.

2. It's ok to me if he wanted money for it, and I can spare $35.00, but it just seemed outrageous to me to ask for that much.  At the local yard  the guy knew what I was talking about and told me that it would be 10 bucks if he had one.  This other guy was from alabama, so his overhead is nowhere near what it is around here, leaving me wondering why his asking price was 3x as much.  his price included shipping, but this thing is so small and light that it could be tossed into an padded envelope and mailed.  what, 5 bucks maybe?

3.  If I was in the mopar parts selling business, I would realize that i am not going to make my real money by gouging people for small stuff.  Being a little generous with stuff like this would pay for itself in good will so when you want some big bucks for an NOS wiper motor or something like that, people will want to get if from you. 

The end result is that if I ever see this particular guy selling anything ever again, I will steer clear of him.  So his effort to F me resulted in losing a potential customer forever.  I have been treated well by many of the smaller vendors in this hobby and I go out of my way to give them my business.  The only time I ever buy stuff from the big guys like Year One or Summit is when I simply cannot find it anywhere else (which is rare) 

One example is Don at FBO systems.  He helped me with a carb I did not even buy from him and as a result, I go out of my way to recommend him because he is a good guy. I have also bought several hundred dollars worth of stuff from him since.  My local engine builder treated me well when he did my shortblock for me.   So he got my business when my truck needed the heads freshened plus countless other small parts that I could have gotten elsewhere.

after all this ranting, I am left with one thought.  maybe I should what they do in alcoholics anonymous: keep my side of the street clean.
RECHRGED