News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

remove damper bolt

Started by mopar400, November 09, 2009, 02:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar400

Hi, I´ve searched the forum for this,   but didnt found it so here I go..
How do I remove the damper bolt without rotating the engine? (engine is still in car)

Also how do I reinstall it, torque it to the right specs?

/Linus

Long Island RT

You got a stick? - Just put it in gear  ::)

Auto - a strategically placed screwdriver or wrench in the flexplate/torque converter or you could always pull a plug and cautiously stop the piston from getting all the way up.

Before that even that - for removal try the homemade air wrench - a breaker bar and hammer....
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

bull

Breaker bar with rubber mallet or impact gun to get it off. A slow, easy left-hand turn won't work obviously. You need to jolt it.

Quote from: Long Island RT on November 09, 2009, 03:23:56 PM
You got a stick? - Just put it in gear  ::)

Auto - a strategically placed screwdriver or wrench in the flexplate/torque converter or you could always pull a plug and cautiously stop the piston from getting all the way up.

Before that even that - for removal try the homemade air wrench - a breaker bar and hammer....

I'm curious how you cautiously stop a piston from going all the way up from a spark plug hole? I don't think I'd be putting anything in the combustion chamber but gas and air.

John_Kunkel

To remove the bolt, place a socket and breaker bar on the bolt, turn the bar until it rests on the driver side frame and then engage the starter. (First disconnect the coil wire)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

alcusswhen

The breaker bar and starter are the best for removing the bolt. To put it back clamp a pair of vice grips on the flywheel close to the passenger side of the bellhousing. They'll hold the engine for you, also to get the balencer far enough back to start the bolt, put a piece of 2X4 on the balencer and drive it back enough to start the bolt. Ounce the bolt is started use your socket and ratchet to put it the rest of the way. If you have air and a 1/2" drive impact wrench just sap it out and in you don't even need to hold the engine that way.
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

alcusswhen

Quote from: bull on November 09, 2009, 03:28:32 PM
Breaker bar with rubber mallet or impact gun to get it off. A slow, easy left-hand turn won't work obviously. You need to jolt it.

Quote from: Long Island RT on November 09, 2009, 03:23:56 PM
You got a stick? - Just put it in gear  ::)

""I'm curious how you cautiously stop a piston from going all the way up from a spark plug hole? I don't think I'd be putting anything in the combustion chamber but gas and air.""

You remove the spark plus thread about a foot of 3/8th inch cotten rope into the cylinder and turn the engine by hand until the piston stops against the rope. This is also a great way to hold valves to replace springs and/or seals. simply rotate the engine back to remove the rope.

Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

Long Island RT

Quote from: bull on November 09, 2009, 03:28:32 PM

I'm curious how you cautiously stop a piston from going all the way up from a spark plug hole? I don't think I'd be putting anything in the combustion chamber but gas and air.

I remember seeing some kind of gizmo with spark plug threads and a hard rubber tip.  I think it can also be used to find TDC when degreeing a cam?

Anywho - I think he got his answer.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

bull

Ok, I had imagined someone getting the notion of shoving a screwdriver in there or something. :o

mopar400

ok thanx for all the tips guys!
very interesting especially the one on the starter motor! never thought of that!
As for the assembly part, will a vise grip really hold the engine, is there any risk of damageing the flex plate?

/Linus

tecmopar

Find one of the cylinders that are coming up on the compression stroke and feed about 2-3' of rope through the spark plug hole, that stops it dead in its tracks, good luck.

Challenger340

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 09, 2009, 04:13:20 PM

To remove the bolt, place a socket and breaker bar on the bolt, turn the bar until it rests on the driver side frame and then engage the starter. (First disconnect the coil wire)

Johns way "ABOVE", is the same way I've always done it !    Works very well !
Only wimps wear Bowties !