News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Lines, pump with stroker but stock appearance??

Started by mopar_nut_440_6, October 20, 2009, 09:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar_nut_440_6

Hello,

I have been doing a lot of reading on the forums about high horsepower engines running mechanical pumps and stock 3/8 lines but have not found a definitive answer and am hoping some of you have already done this.

Here is my situation. I have a 68 RT I want to keep looking as close to stock as possible. I have a 477 stroker which is  putting approx 500 horse to the ground. 11.43 in a 4100 pound car through HP exhaust manifolds and full exhaust. The engine is about 11.8 : 1 compression and to lower the compression a bit and make it more streetable I may change to aluminum heads and find a more compatible cam. In doing so I will likely pick up more horsepower. I will be running a factory air cleaner and rocker covers painted blue of course. I will be hiding my MSD box behind the dash.

I would like to be able to run a mechanical pump with the factory 3/8 lines and a 3/8 pickup to keep the stock appearance. I will be running a 950 cfm holley or equivalent carb (Proform etc.).

I have read about the Carter HP pumps and have used them on lower horsepower engines but am unsure if this will provide enough fuel, I really do not think they will do the job as I used to run out with a 12 second car when on teh drag strip a number of years ago. I also read about the Clay Smith pumps which will provide adequate fuel but may possibly require some block clearancing?

http://claysmithcams.com/moparbandhemifuelpump.aspx

I am also concerned that with a high volume mechanical pump that the small factory return line will not be large enough, any ideas?

Can anybody provide me with any information to assist me in getting this right the first time? I really do not want to install an electric pump and am concerned about the stock look.

Cheers,

James

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

firefighter3931

James, check out the fuel lines from Fabulous Fabrications....very stock looking and designed for Holley double pumpers. Several members here are using them. Greg makes the kit for fuel pump to bowl inlets....it's complete !  :2thumbs:

As for the fuel pump.....i'm running the Carter 120gph high volume street pump (6psi) unit on mine and it runs great. The calculator shows ~500 rwhp to run 116mph @ 4100 raceweight and the engine isn't laying over...at all ! I have a 3/8 pickup and 3/8 supply lines but no return line.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs