News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

turbo'd carburated engine?

Started by 68chargerboy, October 07, 2009, 11:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerboy

is this possible? has any one succesfully put a turbo on there car without having to go to efi? im asking because i want to put a turbo on my early 70's motor cycle, i know this is a site for chargers but you guys have a ton of knowledge when it comes to engines and power adders  :2thumbs:  thanks

Zach

b5blue

I'm sure. (I don't know how to help you with a motorcycle) 1962 Corvairs could be ordered with turbos (Monza Spider) and in the late 60's or early 70's they built a Nova with twin turbos I remember reading about. None of them were injected. Keep researching it.

Blown70

Quote from: 68chargerboy on October 07, 2009, 11:01:29 AM
is this possible? has any one succesfully put a turbo on there car without having to go to efi? im asking because i want to put a turbo on my early 70's motor cycle, i know this is a site for chargers but you guys have a ton of knowledge when it comes to engines and power adders  :2thumbs:  thanks

Zach

My guess it would be similar to the prochargers.... I am sure you can, dont know anything about that though.... :shruggy:

451-74Charger

The turbo would have to be between the carb and the intake, otherwise it would want to push the fuel back up the line :)

Cooter

You will need a "Blow through" "Supercharger" style carb for the Turbo on a carb'd engine...YES! it has been done. I remember reading about a black '65 Ply. that was running a twin turbo'd 440 that was putting out like 800 PLUS HP on 15 PSI...

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

68chargerboy

Quote from: 451-74Charger on October 07, 2009, 11:16:09 AM
The turbo would have to be between the carb and the intake, otherwise it would want to push the fuel back up the line :)

really? so like blown70 said it seems to be the same concept of a procharger, so can u tell me how a procharger doesnt blow the fuel backwards in the line?

LeadfootBob

The turbo does NOT need to be between the carb and the intake, in fact this is considered the worst way of doing it. Blow-through kicks ass in every aspect compared to a draw through. Buy "maximum boost" by Corky Bell, excellent information source regarding all things turbo and how to build a system.

The Black '65 Plymouth is Feets cars, google it for some pics and buildup. Awesome car, but IIRC he killed the carb engine while under boost... And slapped an EFI unit together, along with AMG brakes, big rims and a whole lot of funky tinkering to make it all work.
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

Blown70

Umm that is not a good way to do it..... JUST my  :Twocents:

451-74Charger

I stand corrected !!

68chargerboy

Quote from: LeadfootBob on October 07, 2009, 11:31:19 AM
The turbo does NOT need to be between the carb and the intake, in fact this is considered the worst way of doing it. Blow-through kicks ass in every aspect compared to a draw through. Buy "maximum boost" by Corky Bell, excellent information source regarding all things turbo and how to build a system.

The Black '65 Plymouth is Feets cars, google it for some pics and buildup. Awesome car, but IIRC he killed the carb engine while under boost... And slapped an EFI unit together, along with AMG brakes, big rims and a whole lot of funky tinkering to make it all work.

thanks for the info, and i was also thinking that if my carb is mounted at the intake port of the turbo i would think LOTS of the fuel would evaporate as soon as it touched the turbo housing, those things get HOT!

mopar_nut_440_6

I have a 70 Duster with a /6 I turbocharged and the turbo is before the carb. It is a blow through style. I did  a lot of research on this site prior to my carb upgrades. You will need to use a non vaccuum secondary carb.

These guys can answer any questions you have.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

westcoastdodge

i had an 85 lotus esprite turbo which blew through twin 45mm webers  :2thumbs:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

68r/t

I put a blow through turbo on  my 345 International Scout running at 10psi,   if you don't put a box around the carby to equalize the pressure you will have to modify the carby and fuel pump etc.
I boost referenced the fuel pump so the pump diaphragm sees what ever psi the turbo is making to keep the fuel pressure at 6psi above boost at all times, the carb I put plastic floats in as the  brass ones did collaps on me.
I had a ball fitting it all up and it did not cost much to do and it also surprises a heck of alot of the hotroders at the traffic lights.

68chargerboy

haha that looks awesome seems like it would be a lot of fun! thanks for the info!  how do u tune ur carb with that box over it? did u just set it up to run a little rich w/o the turbo then throw the box on and hope for the best?

tecmopar

Take a look at the Conquest, it has throttle body injection ( very close to a carb ) and the turbo blowing through it. I know its not exactly what you are looking for but it may give you some ideas.

moparguy01

Ya Kevin (Feets) did that with his twin turbo build on his 65 plymouth belvedere. He had a K&N carb bonnet that he fed the boost through and into the carb. he originally did it all low buck, using hacked and slashed headers to make it work, then he got a job at a fancy car dealership and decided he needed amg brakes and fuel injection and all that fancy stuff on it. I can't blame him. If i had extra cash and a job where i could get parts at a discount hell yes I would do it.