News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FWIW - EPA to possibly mandate higher % ehtanol in gas

Started by resq302, September 29, 2009, 11:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

PocketThunder

Do i need to skip the rebuild of my 69's 440 then and transplant a newer Hemi in its place?   :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

451-74Charger

Well, I was looking at an older magazine the other day, contemplating modifying a TQ to run e-85 Ethanol in a 400 BB.

It doesnt seem to be that much of an issue as long as you rejet for more fuel due to the Ethanol, and set you timing accordingly.

You will just have to put up with driving a 3000lb paperweight....!!

GPULLER

Here in Minnesota its 10% already, not sure about anywhere else.  Personally have not had problems running 10% in my Charger, tractors or any other vehicles.
Know plenty of farmers in my area that blend their own and are running as high as 30% in non flex fuel vehicles with no problems.

SomeCarGuy

Wonder how long increased corn gas will last before turning bad?

aussiemuscle

In australia, the oil companies have been 'sneaking' in 5-10% ethanol to 'water down' the cost of fuel (while still raising the price).  :flame: they probably do it in the USA too.

Go Hogs Go

Around here we a couple of stations that advertise 10% ethanol but actually have 16-17% content in their fuel. I work at a new car dealership and we had a rash of non flex fuel vehicles coming in with check engine lights on with a code for the engine running lean. We tested the fuel in the tanks and tested the fuel at local stations and discovered this to be the problem. I use to fuel up my Charger at one of these stations, and I wondered why my 440 would start pinging like a SOB. I'd have to stop and retard the timing so it would run half way decent. After finding this out I started filling up the Charger at a local station that does not have ethanol in their fuel. The engine runs like normal on it. I was able to advance my timing back to where it should be and get my power back. Bottom line, my engine does not like ethanol very much.
Go Hogs!

Khyron

Quote from: 451-74Charger on September 29, 2009, 12:26:34 PM
Well, I was looking at an older magazine the other day, contemplating modifying a TQ to run e-85 Ethanol in a 400 BB.

It doesnt seem to be that much of an issue as long as you rejet for more fuel due to the Ethanol, and set you timing accordingly.

it's a new fuel pump, carb kitt, and some fuel line if you have a lot of rubber line. Overall it's about $250 conversion. We have a 70 Challanger and a IMPCA car that runs on E-85. They run fine, a lot cooler, and throttle responce is unbelievable...

but the Chally gets about 3 mpg ... ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Khyron on October 02, 2009, 09:36:40 AM
Quote from: 451-74Charger on September 29, 2009, 12:26:34 PM

it's a new fuel pump, carb kitt, and some fuel line if you have a lot of rubber line. Overall it's about $250 conversion. We have a 70 Challanger and a IMPCA car that runs on E-85. They run fine, a lot cooler, and throttle responce is unbelievable...

but the Chally gets about 3 mpg ... ;)

All you have to do is rejet and tune and time the car. You dont have to replace all that rubber stuff.    Once the car is on E85 you need to stay on E85.  I know a guy in town here with a big block 69 Dart thats running E85 and other then being a tad harder to start in the winter it runs great and is putting out 10sec 1/4's and runs cooler. Start with a 30% more jet in the carb and see where you end up running wise.

Todd