News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crash test video: 1959 Chevy Bel-Air VS. 2009 Chevy Malibu - WOOF!

Started by NYCMille, September 16, 2009, 10:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Dog

I wanna see someone enter a new car in a crash up  derby. LOL :rofl: Some of those late 60 c body chryslers were banned from certain derbys because of they are that indestuctible.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

Charger440RDN

It would be interesting to see this Malibu go up against a 1970 Cadillac coupe deville, now THAT would be funny. The hood on this Caddy is longer than a Malibu :smilielol:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Charger440RDN on September 18, 2009, 10:08:38 PM
It would be interesting to see this Malibu go up against a 1970 Cadillac coupe deville, now THAT would be funny. The hood on this Caddy is longer than a Malibu :smilielol:

The comments on the video after that crash would be " Where did the Malibu go? "
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Charger440RDN

Or better yet how about if it went up against this  :smilielol:

Big_John

I'll bet there was a six cylinder in the '59. A lot of those cars didn't have the V8. The offset of the crash would put the front fender of the '09 just to the drivers side of the six so it wouldn't make a lot of difference in the crash.

FLG

I say they take a imperial and try that again...boy im sure there in for a rude awakening.

Landonsrt

Dont think anyone was talking bad about the driver. Just making light of a bad situation.

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

derailed

Ive got no reason to doubt it. Technology has come a long ways. I would take that Malibu in a head on over an Imperial or a Caddy as well. My mothers 94 Camry that she owned awhile back saved her life with minimal injuries in a similar crash against an early 80s caprice wagon. The wagon came out far worse.

elacruze

What I originally thought was hunks of rust flying out of the '59 is actually all the plastic flying out from under the hood of the new car...tho you can see the brown cloud from the rust later in the clip.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Charger RT

look at the thread of the 69 GTO it crumpled just like the 59 did. I think the test was fair.
Tim

Mike DC

Look at about 1:01 in the video. 

Look in the 59's wheelwell, you can see a broken ZIP TIE flying off the car.      

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

tricky lugnuts

Yeah, despite "50 years of automobile safety improvements," I don't think I'd want to be in either of those cars. While Chevy engineers may have said so, it looks like the 2009 Malibu driver might have gotten a bit more than a "scratched knee" in that wreck. That new car crumpled back to the windshield just like the '59 Chevy did, though without some interior shots, it's hard to say just how well either held up...

Here's this compilation of old GM crash tests:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siT-SIfOnQw&feature=PlayList&p=3F16E5F92328F3C8&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=12

There's a great video out there somewhere about the evolution of vehicle safety crash testing. It goes back to like 1912 or something, really old cars with wooden cabs flying off at 25 or 30 mph and squishing people, later cars with dashes capable of fracturing skulls, all sorts of stuff.

It's amazing how "safe" our cars are today, with more people than ever being killed in car accidents. Great job NHTSA and Insurance Highway Safety Institute!!! I'm convinced the biggest cause of car deaths is irresponsible and careless drivers... And I'm not sure I want to pay $15K extra per car to try and save them all, not that I"ll ever buy a new car anyway.

Charger440RDN

The older cars are supposed to be less safe even with all of the sheer size and mass compared to a newer car. That may be true but I just can't believe that a new car will hold up in an accident like the old caddy's, Imperial's, Oldsmobile's from the 1970's

Most of those old cars could be repaired after a fender bender while a new car is always totalled out and it can be just a minor accident. New cars today are just disposeable throw away cars.

Mike DC

Remember this?  

If sheer frame stiffness alone was enough to keep us safe then Earnhardt Sr would still be alive.  

The disposable unibodies they build these days are mostly for our own good.  

------------------------------------------

If you wanna REALLY be safe, then take a vintage (but preferably still unibody) car, and weld an extensive (and well-padded) rollcage into just the center cab of it.  That's more like the best of both worlds.