News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tom Condran?

Started by Ghoste, August 17, 2009, 10:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I just picked up a copy of Tom Condrans book on handling for Mopars and although I haven't read it yet, thumbing through it quickly reveals it to be the excellent info source that so many others have said.
My only question was about the author himself, was there not somebody on here who claimed to know him personally?  He downplays his abilities in the book but he certainly seems to know his subject.  Just wondered if anyone knew him what he's really like?

lisiecki1

where'd you buy it?  and what's the actual title?  I'm interested in reading this book.

thanks in advance ghoste.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Ghoste

It's called "Performance Handling For Classic Mopars" and I got it from a vendor at the Nats.  It may have been Laysons, I know they sell it for certain but I couold have gotten it from someone else.
Condran has another book that is a sort of book of general Mopar knowledge and trivia but I didn't buy it and I forget the title.  For some reason I thought somebody on here knew him personally (John Kunkel?).
It's a good read anyway.

lisiecki1

thanks!  i'm going to find one asap.

lisiecki1

Hey Ghoste, is there an address on the book anywhere.....I found an address on the net to order it, but it was in a 3 year old post on another forum and I don't want to send 30 bucks willy nilly without knowing who's going to get it (P.O. Box).....

Randy

Ghoste

Inside it says;
ACME Mail Order
PO Box 282612
San Francisco
CA    94128-2612

But it also has a "third printing 1999" copyright.  :shruggy:

tomcondran

Excuse the interruption, but I just found my name aimed at this website.  "What is this guy like?"  I am bald.

I am a technical writer in other fields who happens to have had Mopars as a hobby since 1960.  As my old profession evaporated, I drifted into high-performance more seriously.  I am a member of Mopar Alley car club in Santa Clara CA, for whom I write technical articles in their monthly newsletter.  These carry some authority, since I build all my own engines--Slant 6, LA, and B/RB--in every step except crank balancing.  For a time I worked at Dema Elgin Racing Cams until he moved to Santa Rosa.  When SuperFlow AETC was great, I attended often. 

Through Dema I got to know engine builders from Bugeye Sprites to Bonneville, NASCAR, and NHRA, Allan Lockheed Jr the airflow guru, a few Chrysler engineers, a couple of Ramchargers, Roy Howell, chief chemist at Red Line Oil, and many other gearheads much smarter than me.  From their expertise I wrote the companion textbook for High Performance Engine Theory classes at jr college Auto Shops.  I am currently expanding that into a general book.

Performance Handling for Classic Mopars is still available from ACME Mail Order, PO Box 282612, San Francisco CA 94128-2612.  So is Mad About Mopars, a tech spec, article, and fun trivia collection.  Still $30 each pp.     

Magnumcharger

Welcome to the site Tom.
We don't care if you're bald.

But that being said, if you're pulling 1G on a skidpad in your classic Mopar, does your toupee fly out the right side window? :nana:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Ghoste

My understanding is that your mainly interested in A-bodies but hopefully you'll pop in here every now and again to share your knowledge.