News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

so guys im new at this and need a little help, well alot!!!

Started by irishluck, September 02, 2009, 12:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishluck

hey guys, I'm nick, im only 18 . i bought a 1973 dodge charger for a father and son project. Sadly my father died about a month ago and i wanna finish this car in his name. i do know how to work on cars.manly engine compartment stuff. the car has the original 318 engine that ill be rebuilding. the car has no transmission. no deck lid, and no rear side roll down windows. so far i have stripped the inside of the top carpet stuff, what ever that's called ha. the seats, and the carpet. i have also sanded the whole body and used spray can primer to at least make the car look decent and one color.
keep in mind I'm 18 years old with a little budget ha.
any ideas what i could do next? what are the steps to rebuild this car and what should i do now
please help me. i want to finish this car for my father

thank you

b5blue

Welcome to the site young one! First you need a budget...that means a job, got one? If not get one.  :2thumbs: Then you can take it one step at a time. I've been fixing....not restoring my Charger for 14 years so don't get in a hurry. You can find help here and use the search feature to find what others have posted. Good Luck to you Nick and keep us posted.

73chgrSE

Decide if you are gonna do a complete restoration or just enuf to make it road worthy and presentable. How much rust is on the car? Post some pics? :cheers:

1BAD68

I would focus on the mechanical stuff.
Rebuild the engine as you mentioned, find a transmission, sand and paint the engine bay.
Rebuild the brakes, rebuild the rear end and go through the wiring making sure everything is working and wont start a fire.
Its much more enjoyable fixing the body while you're able to drive the car.
Even a short trip to the auto parts store in your Charger to buy sand paper and supplies can spark your motivation to keep working on it.
:Twocents:

irishluck

thanks guys.
i did have a job but lost it and i am looking hard for another one ha

well i want to eventually do a full restortion
but for the time being i want to get it drivable, and presentable
im hopeing to take it to a car show one of these days.
i will post some pics up
i bought the car for 600 and the car had sat for 15 years.
it has very few rust spots on it.

i will post some pics here in a few so you guys can take a look at it.

alcusswhen

Learn to use ebay you can build a whole car from it for half what people like year one and herbs parts charge. And don't forget places like Advance and Auto Zone suspension and brakes, along with gaskets and tune up parts. I'm one that never believed in driving a car before the body and paint was done, in fact I install power train last, but I'm sure you'll figure out whats best for Nick. Your car is simple so don't over complicate it. Good luck and joy with it.
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

2Gunz

I think I would skip rebuilding the engine and just buy a running one with a transmission.

It would be more cost and time effective.

:Twocents: